510 dog leg or 4 speed?

Hi, new to the forum. my dogleg just dropped a load, stuck in 3rd. any of you kind people know where I might find a transmission? I'm in Juanita/Kirkland. Also a good shop? I have no way to do it myself. Live in an apt w/underground garage.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finding a dogleg might be tough. Ask around for a F4W63 4spd from a PL510 and I think the later HL510 known as the A10. They are throw away and you should find one for free to at least get you going while you search. F4W63s were used in other cars like the 610/710 so be sure the replacement is the right 26.3" length.

One of the members on here cleaned out his garage and put three of these old 4 gears out on his front lawn with a 'FREE' sign. When he got home there were four trannys there!

Thanks for the help, guys. LOVE the bit about "dude put 3 out in his yard w/a "free" sign. Came home and there were 4." I've been talkin' with my dad, he's had a 4 door since I was born. Says a 5 speed's nice on the highway, but gear ratio 1-4 is the same. I only really used 5th over 60 anyway. I will have to hit up skib. and thanks for the welcome. I kinda like it here, think I might hang out a little...

Skibs is likely an F4W71B and at 31.5" is too long to fit without shortening your drive shaft and modding the tranny mount..... However,..... Once this is done any '77-'79 620, '80 720, '77-'83 280z/zx (non turbo) or '78-'84 Maxima FS5W71B tranny will drop in when you find one. If you don't mind swapping the front case half you can even include all the '81-'86 720 and '80-'83 200sx trannys too. The FS5W71B is a stronger tranny than the FS5W63 dogleg, there are more of then out there and they come in a variety of ratio choices including the over drive.

The L series dogleg does have the same 1-4 ratios as the PL510 sedan but not the wagon. They are different.

Edited by datzenmike

I got a 4 speed and the flange plate you will need that you can have. Its actually a super nice one that shifts killer. Come pick it up in kent/DesMoines ( I work at Valley I-5 Poulsbo RV) or drag the truck out to olalla and Doug and I will swap it for you for $100. I got stuck in 4th a couple years ago on my way to Portland/blue lake. That sucked big time.

i will have the 4spd out of my car very soon for my 5spd swap. i just live in bothell so im close. 206 799 6084 is my cell. give me a call and we can work something out. my name is shay

You're awesome, Shay. I'll give ya a call tonight. I've gotta 719 phone number. My problem is not having a place to work on it, though. hehe, tranny in the trunk, tow it to the shop. You have a 510?

I got a 4 speed and the flange plate you will need that you can have. Its actually a super nice one that shifts killer. Come pick it up in kent/DesMoines ( I work at Valley I-5 Poulsbo RV) or drag the truck out to olalla and Doug and I will swap it for you for $100. I got stuck in 4th a couple years ago on my way to Portland/blue lake. That sucked big time.

Man I was thinkin', too of how bad it would suck if I got stuck in 4th or 5th :blink: Luckily 3rd's got some range and I didn't have to slip the clutch too much. Even better than dragging- I work for AAA, free tow. So it'd be a free tranny and you guys'd do the work for 100 bucks? See, Datsun dudes really are the best people. I totally expect to help, and would hafta throw in AT LEAST a 12 pack. I don't have a garage. Only problem for me.....

Hey guys. datsunfish says:

Hey,yeah I talked to my friend Doug and he is cool with it. He might just do it if I cant make the time soon enough. The only hitch is that I dont actually have the mounting plate for the drive shaft that is necessary for a 4 speed. I know of a couple at a local yard in 521s but not sure I will be able to get them so you may have to locate one.

Is he talking about a truck trans? I mean, I know I have a splined end, right?

Hi, Nate's dad here. Are you referring to the plate that fits between the trans and the engine? I've been trying to help him with this over the phone and we're just not getting it.

I think I got it. The splined end of the shaft I have now won't reach all the way into the tranny. But you can put a flange end on the end of the driveshaft that I have now that'll match up to the flange on the shaft that goes into the truck tranny? Datzen mike says my shaft in there now is too long and we'd have to cut it? I'm just tryin' to make this easy on everyone.

:confused::confused:

OK. This is a pic of the rear of the tranny and the mating plates to the drive shaft. Notice the u joint section no splined shaft just plate bolting to plate and shaft entering tranny. That should about do it. If you really cant find one of those maybe upgrade and customize to a long shaft tranny. What motor you got in there anyways?

2005_1110Image0010.jpg

i was just wondering what motor cause a good hefty 2.0 or up could kill an old stock 4 speed pretty easy. I am also starting to think I may be wrong about the 510 having the same 4 bolt plate versus just the input shaft. I think you just need to get the stock drive line from a 510 or at least the front section. Sorry to make this all confusing for you. I just dropped a dogleg in my 510 but it had an automatic in it not a 4 speed and I think I had to change the front section so I will try to find the input from the auto setup but it might be gone. But in any case you can still have the tranny for free.:D

bump. stuff isn't working out. still in need of a trans for a 510 and someone willing to share a garage or install. It's my daily driver and I'm thinkin' about just getting rid of it at this point. The ONLY problem is the trans. Everything else has been replaced or checked out w/in the last few years.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.