Help With Pertronix Ignitor

Want of Method

Sooooo..I bought the Pertronix Ignitor. I almost had the install complete when I realized that the magnetic sleave won't go over the distributor shaft. Not even close. There is a large flange that the rotor sits on that won't allow the magnetic collor to pass. My first instinct was that I had been sent the wrong kit but the more I looked at it the more confused I got. The design of the shaft itself would bar any real fitment because the top is bigger than the bottom. Is there a way around this! :confused:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I put a pertronix on my L16, and it slid right on, but I've seen people mention that certain distributors have the ring your describing, and it either needs to be machined off, or you need a different dizzy. Hainz knows all the details on this. Maybe he'll comment.

The problem is that there were 4 different points distributor bodies for the L-series. The pertronix only fits 2 of those, which also happen to be the rarest 2.

The 2 it does fit is the 68-69 dist (single point small-cap), and the 1973-74 large-cap, single-point L18 dist.

One of the 2 it doesn't fit is the dual-point, which was the ONLY distributor used on the L16 from 70-73. So that nixes 4 model years right there, unless someone swapped in a SSS dist (which is the same body as the 68-69 smallcap dist). The other one that doesn't fit is the L20B points dist (75-77, all large-cap), because of the aforementiond "ring boss" that prevents the magnet ring on the pertronix from sliding on.

Now, a small amount of 1975 L20B dists actually can be used, because the "ring boss" didn't show up until late in the '75 model run. But there's no guarantee which it is unless you look. I got lucky and when I went through my not-insubstantial pile of points dists, found one large-cap dist with no ring boss. But out of around a dozen plus largecap dists, I had ONE without the ring.

L20b dizzy mod photos

the Pertronix will fit a Mitshibishi import motor dizzy also.

I heard of people just chucking up the dizzy to the Lath and machining the Ring boss off.(ask a machine shop)

otherwise you have to pull the dizzy plate and vaccum plate aprt to remove the rotor.

also make sure the black moduel is not near the green tape as it could catch. I run soem thin streak of super glues ofr something so the tape dont peel off(across the edge)

persoanlly I love the Pertronix and just run the stock points and ballast and it will last forever. or at least 7/8 years for me already in my rigs. I dont even hardly change a dizzy cap in 5 years

HPIM0255 (2)_thumb.jpg

HPIM0260_thumb.jpg

Edited by banzai510(hainz)