Ticket rants

if they asked how fast you were going always tell them an approximation because standard protocol will induce them to tell you how fast they think you were speeding then you have a right to ask for the radar gun to show proof of their assumption.

NOOOOO, you do not have to be shown the gun anymore. This was redacted several years ago.

honestly I have found any time I have been pulled over if Im honest, nice, and calm. I get out of getting a ticket. Anytime I have ever been chanting redirect or acted as if I knew more about that law than they, anything they could get away with they would try. Id push back and just end up leaving without a ticket with 2 hours less on my life. 2 hours of my time dealing with a cop I equate to a loss of income or personal growth. To me thats equally a ~$200 ticket.

Thats not to say I ignore my rights as a citizen. There was one time a cop tried to give me a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign on private property. When I said that was to the discretion of the property owner, and that he had no right to give me the ticket, he went ape shit. Took it to court and it was dropped. The mall owner said he was tired of cops giving paying customers tickets for ridiculous shit like not stopping at a stop sign at 2 a.m. leaving work, or loitering around stores, or double parking, or ANY way dude was awesome and a good friend to a lot of us that hung out in his lot. There were a few car meets there 2x a month and he was all gravy with anything within reason that went down on his property.

he does not own the property any more. Awesomeness is not recession proof.

Edited by ichorid
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about other states but here in California cops here are absolutely useless. Can't tell you how many times I have accelerated from a stop light with my dime and how many times I was ticketed for "exhibition of speed." By the way a little advice especially for speeding, if they asked how fast you were going always tell them an approximation because standard protocol will induce them to tell you how fast they think you were speeding then you have a right to ask for the radar gun to show proof of their assumption. Which in court without a radar reading is what the cop is feeding in your head anyways an assumption. My opinion on cops, their just bullys with a badge.
If you get pulled over for speeding you're going to have to lie, or not give an actual speed number. It's best to do neither. If you try to say you were only doing 70 in a 65, or 65.0000001, then the cop now has an admission of guilt and you will lose in court, and if you give some number well below your clocked speed, then the cop is just going to see you as a liar and cut you no slack. If he asks you how fast you were going (or "how fast do you think you were going"), simply shrug and say "A reasonable and safe speed for the traffic and weather conditions at hand" or similar. I was pulled over doing 60mph on a 55mph stretch with a lot of windy turns marked with suggested speeds as low as 25mph. The cop said he clocked me at 60mph and asked, "Don't you think you were taking those turns a little too fast?" I looked at him, shrugged, and confidently, nonchalantly said, "No, not really." I guess he was a little surprised by that response and simply asked me to keep the speed down in the future.

I agree with you except that the first thing a cop always asks you is do you know how fast you were going, I always politely answer that question with a question like, "no, how fast was I going officer." What do they always say? Well you were going about this fast in a this zone, right? Thats my prompt to ask them for the radar reading. So far, it has gotten me out of alot of tickets, not all of them but most of the ones where they can't give me a radar reading. All I'm saying is be courteous but don't offer these bullies any weaponry to attack you with.

NOOOOO, you do not have to be shown the gun anymore. This was redacted several years ago.

honestly I have found any time I have been pulled over if Im honest, nice, and calm. I get out of getting a ticket. Anytime I have ever been chanting redirect or acted as if I knew more about that law than they, anything they could get away with they would try. Id push back and just end up leaving without a ticket with 2 hours less on my life. 2 hours of my time dealing with a cop I equate to a loss of income or personal growth. To me thats equally a ~$200 ticket.

Thats not to say I ignore my rights as a citizen. There was one time a cop tried to give me a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign on private property. When I said that was to the discretion of the property owner, and that he had no right to give me the ticket, he went ape shit. Took it to court and it was dropped. The mall owner said he was tired of cops giving paying customers tickets for ridiculous shit like not stopping at a stop sign at 2 a.m. leaving work, or loitering around stores, or double parking, or ANY way dude was awesome and a good friend to a lot of us that hung out in his lot. There were a few car meets there 2x a month and he was all gravy with anything within reason that went down on his property.

he does not own the property any more. Awesomeness is not recession proof.

Actually based on my research it is only some departments that have a specific policy on whether or not they don't have to show you the radar gun. But besides that you are using that question to first let them reassess if in fact they are assuming and re-evaluate if in fact you do deserve a ticket. And secondly, this is a good defense if in fact you want to fight it in court it may not work with the judge but like I've always said, "Even if you have one target isn't better with two darts." Think about that one for a minute