L20B cam selection

Jester

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3.90 gears are too low. A lumpy cam will have poor manifold vacuum and drive ability. It's OK when revved up but piggish at low RPMs. Take offs will be a PITA with 3.90s. Stick with the stock 4.375s to help it off the line for in town driving.

3.90 gears are too low. A lumpy cam will have poor manifold vacuum and drive ability. It's OK when revved up but piggish at low RPMs. Take offs will be a PITA with 3.90s. Stick with the stock 4.375s to help it off the line for in town driving.

:lol::lol:

3.90's are excellent, 4.375 suck. My 3.90's are not a problem at all around town. Second gear starts are still not a problem. And even when i hauled my last scrap load(980lbs.) it was not a problem at all.

I don't miss my 4.375 gears even a little bit.:D

Thanks for the feed back on this. I will be going to 390 gears though. Take offs right now suck!

Hainz: do you have part #'s by chance?

Beings this is my first overhead cam attempt, I don't know anything about lash pad setup. Were do I find some good reading on the subject? I am in the process of reading the "how to modidfy your Nissan/Datsun OHV engne". I'm at the cam section right now. Imagine that. :D

like i said it was on olddatsuns.com

http://olddatsuns.com/html/tech/partnum.htm

but soem manufactures will have there own parts.

I made a DVD on how to do the camlash inkpad ck which is simple. Maybe soembody can give you the full DVD . Its simple but cam cost money to do it right depending on size of cam.

Cams work best with sidedraft carbs. keeping a DGV on there is still cutting the full power gain in half.

Thanks for the feed back on this. I will be going to 390 gears though. Take offs right now suck!

In what way do they suck? As I stated above, going down to 3.90 gears will make take offs a slight bit more difficult. I agree that on a stock truck this is a small amount, but on a heavily cammed motor this small amount becomes much bigger.

I would do the motor and then decide on a gear change later after you have driven it.

I'm running dual SU's, header.......

I'm not thinking too big. Something around 270-280 duration and a lift as close to 460 as I can get. I stopped and talked to Steve at Z Thearopy today about cams. He has a guy that makes him a cam that is 270 dur. and 456 lift. Not sure of the lobe centers. He said it idles like stock and really lets the engine breath. He seems to think my carbs would LOVE this cam.

In what way do they suck? As I stated above, going down to 3.90 gears will make take offs a slight bit more difficult. I agree that on a stock truck this is a small amount, but on a heavily cammed motor this small amount becomes much bigger.

With the 437 gears, take offs are that of a dump truck. I'm grabbing for 2nd with in 20'. I don't think that 2nd gear starts are the answer. I'm basically putting the gears from my Hustler I gave to Beebani in my KC.