ssr toyota engine in a 510

xAH510x

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

anything is possible with enough money and skills but.... If you want 2.4 liters why not use a KA? They have more power than a 22r and have been done a million times. If you are HELL bent to put the 22r in I say go for it but I think they are a bunch longer than the KA or L series and those fit pretty tight in there.

I would not go as far as saying the 22R is the most reliable as I have seen those with many head gasket issues. i would go KA as it is pretty durable. parts are readily availble here in the usa and the swap has been done many times with success. But like the other person said if you have money or time anything can be done.

Toyota R engine was designed in the early 1950s! Power is not exceptional, Nissan SR20 has much more power even though it is smaller engine.

* 22R: 108 hp

* 22R-E: 112 hp

* SR20DE: 140-145 hp (non-turbo)

I had to replace timing chain cover on a 20R back in the early 80s (bad casting).

But swapping it in should be OK with just the normal swap stuff:

* Custom driveshaft

* Custom mounts

* Custom exhaust

* Custom oil pan

If you get the right Toyota transmission it will pop up in the stock 510 shifter hole.

I would not go as far as saying the 22R is the most reliable as I have seen those with many head gasket issues.

recurring HG issues are usually from the person who replaced it. :cursing:

mine(3) have all gone over 200K before the first problem. the trucks didnt last as long as the motors :lol:

i still would never consider this a potential motor for a 510/datsun!

See the "What grinds your gears?" thread, and my comment about Toyota 22rs. The only reason they're reliable is because they're absolutely gutless unless you boost them. Any 2.4 making 100 hp will last to the ends of the earth because the motor is so low-stress.

I raced all sorts of Toyotas back when I had my 2wd hardbody with the KA. Never lost a race. The only ones that did anything were the supercharged 22res, but that guy was still only running mid-14s, although probably a lot of that was traction issues being a truck. If you do supercharged, then I'd go for it, but expect the cost.

A Nissan engine of new or old vintage makes way more sense. I can build you an L20B for about $1500 that will stomp things wonderfully.

Rotaries have been done very successfully... they are very compact, potent packages. Not a bad choice, and they range from cheap to a little less than an SR.

SR has been done to death, lots of power, getting easier and easier to find parts for. Expensive.

KA, although called a 'truck' motor, is a great option, cheap, reliable, L-series roots, easy to get parts for, plenty of power for a street car, lots a power potential... kind of a no brainer in my opinion (sohc or dohc).

• 2 weeks later...

The 20-22R engines would self destruct once the timing chain was worn. It would slap and rub against the timing cover and into the water pump passages and of course destroy the engine from that. Other than that they are a good engine, rebuilt a 20R and they are not bad.