521 L16 oil pan

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The L16/18 and L20B from the 620 might work too. They have the rear sump and the truck has similar cross brace and torsion bars to clear.

But isn't the 521 oil pan specific Mike? I know from reading that the L20 oilpan won't fit a 521. But if an l18 oil pan would work in a 521, it'd make my day!

Yeah I don't know. I just read that other post about it.

If zuum says so then I'd go with it. I figured that the pans would be similar being from trucks that are so similar. I tried to X reference the pt. no. but couldn't find the L18 pan number for the 620.

L16/18/L20B pans are same bolt pattern but maybe it needs a couple of 'dents' in it to clear the steering or cross brace???

Edited by datzenmike

I have a 1976 L20B that is from a 620 that is rebuilt. I am putting this in my 66 520 with 1980 720 L20B engine mount towers welded in. With the 1976 620 L20B pan and the 1980 L20B pan I am having trouble with the cross rod clearance. The motor is back as far as it will go with stock firewall. I have lifted the cab for tunnel clearance 2". Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am considering cutting out the firewall and the tunnel and welding in a 1980 720 firewall & tunnel to eliminate the 2" body lift.

problem i had in my 521 with l18(years ago....) was the engine was out of a 74 620. the center link in the steering rubbed a hole through the front of the oil pan. i jb welded the pan up and raised the engine up in the front and modified my steering link.but withe the engine raised so much in the front that it created a problem with the heater hoses and later on with drive shaft vibration. i now know to use the 521 pan and sump and everything is fine.620 pan is about 3/4" too big in the bottom

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.