L-16 - Need a block drain plug!!

mrtt999

This is a car that I have had about a year now. I am finally getting started on it, trying to do a low-budget :eek: restoration. I am just starting with the basics, getting it in running condition and road legal, refreshing things as much as possible as I work on the needs first.

It has an L-16, SU's, and header. I just finished refreshing the cooling system with new hoses, clamps, rodded the radiator, etc. The block drain plug is truly thrashed. It looks like it has been removed numerous times with vise-grips. I couldn't get it out otherwise.

What is the size of this plug? 14mm x ? Where can I find a replacement? I have searched, and only come up with oil drain plugs, or bolts that are too long.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We're talking about the block freeze plugs, right? Not the actual oil pan drain plug.

BTW, you'll never find a proper size and thread pitch for the oil drain plug. I've tried at bolt specialized shops. No luck. Rockauto.com or Nissan are your only sources for the oil drain.

That being said, I have purchased the freeze plugs online.

Expansion Plug: $5 for this whole set on Rockauto.com

557-001-007.jpg

We're talking about the block freeze plugs, right? Not the actual oil pan drain plug."

No, he's talking about the bolt that you remove from the engine block to power flush it [or in Montana to add in the external tank block heater so that you can survive 40 below without cracking your block.]

"BTW, you'll never find a proper size and thread pitch for the oil drain plug. I've tried at bolt specialized shops. No luck. Rockauto.com or Nissan are your only sources for the oil drain."

Don't know about later models, but my RL411 had an "SAE 5/8 Semi Finished" drain bolt. Think untapered coarse National Pipe thread. I stripped the helocoil insert in the aluminum oil pan and got laughed out of every supplier in Souther California for a helicoil replacement so I tapped the hole up and inserted a Ford 18 mm spark plug repair insert for aluminium heads [they have a 90 degree face, other 18 mm spark plugs have a 45 degree tapered seat] and bought a Toyota 18 mm drain plug.

Thank you all for the information!! Yes, I am talking about the threaded coolant drain/flush bolt/plug in the right rear of the block. I'll search some local hardware stores and see what I can find or make work. I hate to re-use such a ratty bolt, especially since some of the threads near the head are looking a bit flat. It was a bear to get out, even with my monster pair of vise grips. Surprisingly the block threads look good.