Do I need a new flywheel?

Beau M

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, you rarely ever need a new fly wheel on a car or small truck. 90% of the time you can resurface it or replace the disk(on that style flywheel).

• 2 weeks later...

REPLACE!REPLACE!REPLACE!!

Oh yeah, did I say, REPLACE!

Running compromised equipment is not a good idea! Especially something that spins really fast and may come apart on you!!

Spend a few bucks and have peace of mind that it will not fail on you down the line. Trust me, I have seen these thing fly apart, and it is not pretty!

REPLACE IT!

That flywheel is a solid piece of cast iron (except for the ring gear). Or is it steel? In any case it is a single piece. It won't "come apart" if it is within the limits. Lots of guys even machine lots away to reduce weight (lightened flywheel). Yes they can explode, but not from a regular resurfacing. More like if the bolts get loose when you're revving 8500 RPM.

Ask your local machinist for his opinion.

Ok, I should be a bit more clear on this.

If the flywheel cleans up after surfacing and stays within specs. Then it should not be a problem. But, this is after removing a reasonable amount of material off the flywheel and it still comes in within it tolerances.

If, the flywheel still has some cracks after a vigorous surfacing, then do not run it. Vibration, contamination and high reving can cause it to fly apart. Trust me, I used to work at a drag strip and saw this first hand and a couple of cars on the streets back in the day, that being the 80's, and it was not pretty.

Yes, I do know about shaving off material to lighten a flywheel, Volkswagens are some of the most common ones done, or they where, and have nothing to do with re-surfacing a flywheel.

Flywheels have really come down on cost and most parts houses now carry resurfaced, ready to go flywheels on exchange. Not only that, but they can also tell you if the flywheel can be resurfaced or not.

Deep cracks, severe discoloration are signs that it is time to replace one.

Yeah, the Fonz does not dig dirty, shitty, half assed stuff, AAaayyyy!

Come on, its not like you are dealing with a rare, hard to find part, right?

So don't be a Potsie! Capice?

potsie.jpg