dgi's 510

dgi

Got started a while back gathering parts to refurb the dash in my 72 510. So, all new surrounds, a dash pad, and a instrument pod with factory tach.

Also, installed a set of SUs and new filters for them. They are too nice, makes the rest of the engine compartment look sucky. But, it sure runs good now.

Still lots of things to do. On with the interior project.

Here are a few pics.

4-25-2009_001.jpg

4-25-2009_002.jpg

4-25-2009_003.jpg

4-25-2009_006.jpg

4-25-2009_007.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

where did you get that SU filter housing?

You have rear defroster?

The filter housings are from Dave Gard at SU Filters. There are machined aluminum, that I polished to a mirror finish myself. You can see the reflections in the picture.

These are not the filters that Dave supplies. He provides a foam filter that you can see on his web site. His look real good, but I used a readily available paper filter instead on this driver. One problem... you see how the filter sets inside the filter base, but the filter cover is smaller. Dave told me he does them that way for more hood clearance on Austin Healeys or something. It isn't a problem with his foam filters, but I would have preferred the cover to be the same size as the base myself.

Oh, the base has a 10mm air horn machined into it, a really nice feature. Overall, they are very nice and I'm pleased. Also, they solved the fitment problem on my L20B with a brake booster as you can see. And, yes, the engine runs much better!

Yes, my car does have the rear window defroster and third brake light.

I will try to find/make some pics of the car. All I have now are way out of date.

Edited by dgi
I want to know where you got that gauge pod that's under your ashtray?

Can't say. It was in the car when I purchased it. It does look natural in the car though, doesn't it.

This car was somebody's baby back a lot of years ago. The guages and tach are Smiths so it most likely is a pod that was/is available from them.

Bad news! I tried to wire in the factory tach today and couldn't get it to work.

Anybody know how to test them out and/or repair them.

I have a copy of the factory installation instructions for a stock points distributor and followed them to build a harness to tie to the coil. That doesn't do it.

I have an electronic dizzy. And I have a friend's notes on installing the factory tach with that dizzy. Neither of the two schemes worked either.

Suspect the tach is bad. It was a used unit, thought to be good, but looks like FAIL.

tach goes in "series" with the coil - wire. Even though it's not marked on the white wires...polarity matters....so if you have it in series, you might try reversing those connections. Dime Quarterly has a write up on it.....and it's on here a couple of times too.

tach goes in "series" with the coil - wire. Even though it's not marked on the white wires...polarity matters....so if you have it in series, you might try reversing those connections. Dime Quarterly has a write up on it.....and it's on here a couple of times too.

I like my 3 wire :)

The newer styles are certainly nicer to wire! :) Plus...you don't add all that extra wire into the trigger circuit for the coil. I don't think I'd run a stock tach on a points dizzy....but it can be done.

...polarity matters....so if you have it in series, you might try reversing those connections.

Thanks Mike. I tried that and still no luck.

I will pull it back out and give it a deeper look. It was so nice and clean when I got it that I really just popped it in without checking anything out.

Even so I gained... my previous odometer didn't work. This one does.