5-speed troubles

Some know me and my car (78 MG Midget with Nissan A15) and know that I bought a used 5 speed several months ago from a guy who was parting out his 210.

This past weekend a friend and I pulled the motor & 4 speed and installed the 5 speed. Then I found out the thing needs some new bearings and 4th gear seems to be missing - like nothing there when you shift up into the space where 4th gear ought to be.

We plan to pull it all back out this coming Saturday and open up the tranny to see what it needs.

Advice and information will be greatly appreciated!

Where does one go to get parts? Assuming I may need some bearings and bushings and maybe a couple more things?

Thanks!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then I found out the thing needs some new bearings and 4th gear seems to be missing - like nothing there when you shift up into the space where 4th gear ought to be.

What you mean MISSING ???

Is it dogleg gearbox ???

It is a good idea that you weight that tranny and ask somebody who has the same shit and compare both results !!!!! if they r identical so your 4th gear is dead and won't engage .

Really seems strange that only 4th is not working. It should be effecting 3rd in a standard shift pattern or 5th in a dogleg. The shift rod, shift fork and coupling ring are all common to the other gear.

Only possible solution I could offer is the roll pin holding the shift fork to the shaft has sheared. It may be allowing the opposite gear to engage but allowing the shaft to slip and not moving the fork/coupler into 4th gear. I doubt this is the problem, but I have had roll pins fail under hard use, usually with both gears not engaging though.

In any case it sounds like nothing short of removing it will fix it.

Dogleg (1st & Reverse are to the left with first being down and Revers being up)

4th is up on the right and 5th is down.

Now it has a significant leak of the front seal and the new clutch is slipping, I'm taking it over to my friends tonight and I will be driving (hopefully) my MK2 Sprite while we work on that transmission.

Well I know it's a '60' but that's all I know right now.

I have pictures on my camera at home I can post later after I work all day and all evening if I have the strength & memory to do anything other than pass out.

Being it is a dogleg and 60 series, Mike has it right,the transmission is a FS5W60L.

Best I can tell from looking at my parts CD, these were used in the US 210's until 7/79, pn 32010-H9150 and from 7/79 until the end of the 210's run (1982) in Canada, pn 32010-H9363.

Yeah, I was at work and guessing at the tranny.

My records show only the FS5W63A dogleg being used from Mar. '76 until the B210 became the 210 (B310) then the FS5W60A was used from Aug '79 on. I do have a photo of an FS5W60L from an '81, so maybe it is misslabled. The FS5W60A does at least look like an MG tranny. The FS5W63A is much bigger and different looking.

POST PICTURES.

Edited by datzenmike

The easiest way to identify the FS5W60L (dogleg) vs. FS5W60A (non-dogleg) in a photo is the location of the drain plug. The dogleg drain plug faces rearward the non-dogleg point toward the ground.

Here is a photo that ddgonzal posted to Datsun1200.com

13616.jpg

Mine has the plug facing rearward.

I dropped it (the car) off at my friends house yesterday so I could go home and try to get my Sprite up & running. In retrospect I should have tried turning the key before doing everything else, then I would have had more time to find & fix that problem. Ah, well I guess I can do that tonight.

• 2 months later...