Million Dollar Upgrade

What are your ratsun stories of a cheap ass "million dollar " upgrade you have done. They must be dirt cheap, effective, and be considered an upgrade .

Heres mine i just did . I took an old steering wheel from THE-BOX-O-SHIT + the bottom of a coke can for the center cap. Final cost= 1 Nickle (I recycle) :D

DSC06016.jpg

Edited by SurgeL320
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

carbon fiber dash inserts

cost $7 for the roll of carbon fiber decal

insrimentation2.jpg

carbon1.jpg

carbon2.jpg

carbon3.jpg

totally updated the look of the dash

(note this is on the yellow 610(shelly) the new 610(michelle) is getting the same treatment)

carbon fiber dash inserts

cost $7 for the roll of carbon fiber decal

insrimentation2.jpg

carbon1.jpg

carbon2.jpg

carbon3.jpg

totally updated the look of the dash

(note this is on the yellow 610(shelly) the new 610(michelle) is getting the same treatment)

Hi Bonvo!

The faux carbon fiber look is interesting. Goes really nice with the black face guages!! Some of the stripper 180B's came with an aluminum look panel instead of the faux woodgrain trim. And the sharknose 6 cylinder GTX 610's came with a very cool lookin irridescent shiny silvery look panel that reflects light into different colors, sort of like the Camaros of the same era.

Are you going to use the black face guages from the 76, or the early black face guages from the 73 for your 73. Both are hard to find a tach for, but I have never seen a tach for the later 76 guages with the different graphic layout which is the same as the layout on the blue face ones that came on the 74-75's. :cool:

Wow, if you told me you were thinking of putting fake CF on your car I would have tried to talk you out of it. I would have been wrong, because that looks good! Nice job.

I love that coke can idea. Looks real clean.

Hi Bonvo!

The faux carbon fiber look is interesting. Goes really nice with the black face guages!! Some of the stripper 180B's came with an aluminum look panel instead of the faux woodgrain trim. And the sharknose 6 cylinder GTX 610's came with a very cool lookin irridescent shiny silvery look panel that reflects light into different colors, sort of like the Camaros of the same era.

Are you going to use the black face guages from the 76, or the early black face guages from the 73 for your 73. Both are hard to find a tach for, but I have never seen a tach for the later 76 guages with the different graphic layout which is the same as the layout on the blue face ones that came on the 74-75's. :cool:

this car is gonna get the early greyish gadges considering the fact that that speedo shows the original milage of the car af for a tach im running an aftermarket one anyway so im not to concerned i must say though since i took the dash appart on this one i got the cf to look alot cleaner

Rear view mirror from a mid '90s Lumina or Monte Carlo. Day/night and two map reading lights mounted on the bottom one on each side. Eliminates the crappy 620 interior light. Can be connected to the door switch or used separately. Best of all, second best actually, it glues to the windshield and looks cool. Best of all I wore it home from the 'yard' in my pants. Cost $4 for the epoxy to mount it to the 620 windshield.

Aerial from a Stanza?? Mounted on the driver's side A pillar? between door and windshield. Aerial is a single solid wire that retracts fully into a plastic tube that is inside the pillar and goes down behind the driver's kick panel. Aerial can be retracted by driver if backing up in the woods to prevent snapping it off or retracted fully until flush with roof line in crime prone areas to prevent vandals from fucking with it. Cost? don't remember paying for it but would not have payed more that $5-$10 for it. Being able to extend or retract it while driving.... priceless.

Blinking side markers. Got the idea from a Chevy forum but it is well documented on the dime quarterly and the Realm. About ten minutes per lamp and a few crimp connectors and wire stripper. Not noticed by most newer car owners that take it for granted but when another 620 owner without it sees it, the coolness factor is right up there. :D

Hi-volume oil pump. Raised my hot idle oil pressure from 17 to 29 psi with no other change other than installing a used one. This little item provides better pressure at low speeds than the stock one and is great for engines with cam spray bar that uses a lot of oil volume. The internal rotors are 14% longer than the regular pumps. The relief spring can be shimmed to raise the pressure. New they are $60 to over $100 depending on application. Identical as far as I can see just different relief spring rates. You can get used ones at wrecking yards for $10... refuse to pay more, tell them you want a guarantee that your motor won't seize up because it's used... usually THAT will make them drop the price. If not go somewhere else. They are everywhere. Just keep your eyes open. Look for any D-21 Hardbody or Pathfinder with a Z24i motor in it. All KA24E and DEs have it as long as it's RWD. Other cars with it, though much rarer, are the 280zx turbo automatics, LD28 equipped diesel Maximas and the very rare to find JDM Z18ET. These hi-volume pumps are identical to the regular pumps when viewed from the outside. They can't be told apart without removing from the timing cover. Best $10 engine protection investment you will ever make.

Any Datsun L20B Internally Regulated alternator used on '78s and up. The IR alt.does away with the problematic mechanical regulator that is a PITA to live with. It either works or it doesn't... no more testing the alt. then the regulator and finding that the tests say they are both good but the battery still doesn't charge. Should be able to collect one for under $40 often much less.

Electric Ignition Distributors or EI Dizzys also known as Matchbox Dizzys. Direct drop in to all L 4cyl engines. Eliminates the problematic points ones. Only two wires to hook up, reliable, maintenance free, higher output, Good to 7K on a Z car so that's good to 10.5K on a 4 cyl motor, set 'er and forget 'er. Must have the matching EI coil to operate properly. Found on all L20B motors after '79. There was an earlier system used in '78 and on earlier California cars but not as easy to wire up. Can get for under $50.

Turbonator! Only $25, and you get up to 60% better gas mileage. Install under breather above carb.

Plastic Jesus with two sided tape for mounting on dash. Never be troubled by insurance payments again! The peace of mind of driving with the big Guy up front makes this item well worth the cost. Usually can be found on dashes in wrecking yards. Wrap with duct tape and place in pocket so owner won't hear him yelling when you walk out without paying.

Edited by datzenmike

Remove Radiator Cap - Drive Replacement Vehicle under new radiator Cap.:blink:

Take 1 $5.00 Bosch Relay, some spare wire laying around. Use positive coil wire from Ignition activate the Relay. Route power directly from Battery to Positive Terminal of the Coil = 48K Volt Spark via Bosch Relay. Better Idle, More Power - Improved Gas Mileage.

Not recommended with coils that came with a Ballast Resistor, as these are not HEI Coils and may overheat. MSD Blaster 2 works well for this though ($40.00)

2nd - Purchase Rebuilt 89-92 Maxima Alternator off Ebay (40.00), swap out the pulley, get the proper connector for $5.00 and you have 90 AMPs instead of 50 AMPs. Now you can run that stereo.

Plastic Jesus with two sided tape for mounting on dash. Never be troubled by insurance payments again! The peace of mind of driving with the big Guy up front makes this item well worth the cost. Usually can be found on dashes in wrecking yards. Wrap with duct tape and place in pocket so owner won't hear him yelling when you walk out without paying.

spring mounted budda FTW (ask the wolfman ;) )

Purchase Rebuilt 89-92 Maxima Alternator off Ebay (40.00), swap out the pulley, get the proper connector for $5.00 and you have 90 AMPs instead of 50 AMPs. Now you can run that stereo.

I'm glad someone else has accomplished this. 90 AMPS from from a Maxima alternator means Momma Nissan practically authorized it...

My million dollar upgrade? Instead of wiring your stereo direct to the harness via crimp connectors, get the 12 screw down inline terminal set from Radio Shack for $2.99 You can upgrade as you please and not keep cutting the wiring back to the nubs

Edited by zerow