questions on the l20b motor

unchbox

ok i have a 1970 510 2 door and it came with a L20b motor but i dont know what year it is. I was hopeing you guys can tell me how to find out and i was wondering about boreing it 30 over if i would have to change anything else . Im about to strip it down and rebuild it but was also thinking of getting it bored . And if you guys now some other mods i can make and the price it would be appreciated thanks

Edited by datzenmike
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i have a 1970 510 2 door and it came with a L20b motor but i dont know what year it is. I was hopeing you guys can tell me how to find out and i was wondering about boreing it 30 over if i would have to change anything else . Im about to strip it down and rebuild it but was also thinking of getting it bored . And if you guys now some other mods i can make and the price it would be appreciated thanks

If the motor has its original carb/exhaust manifolds/ head/dizzy a guess could be made. This is unlikely after all these years. It would have to be from between a '75 and '80. All L20Bs are more or less the same internally so good enough for rebuilding.

As to re-building, careful not to confuse standard (inches) with metric(mm). The L20B's bore is 85mm and Nissan replacement pistons come in half a mm or 0.0197" oversize. Another option is to buy L28 pistons for the 280z car. They are a whopping 1mm (0.0394") larger than the L20B and have a slightly smaller dish so a slight compression increase too. The L20B should easily handle a 1mm bore increase.

Before going further... what's wrong with it (the motor) now???

The tail lights are from a '67-'68 Firebird. The '69s were slightly different.

Edited by datzenmike