70 521.

**New photos April 21 2010**

Well the beginning of this story is in the for sale sectiom, the ending so far, is at the end of this thread.

Today I went and got the brakes working on the truck, then took some comet and a brush and went to town on the rusted paint.

Before.

DSC01485.jpg

DSC01490.jpg

DSC01486.jpg

After.

DSC01493.jpg

DSC01494.jpg

DSC01496.jpg

Here is a shot of the Air Dam with the raised 521 logo in it.

DSC01495.jpg

Engine shots. So far the only rust i've found is here by the clutch and brake master cylinders. But it's still only surface rust. Also you can see some of the labelling he did.

DSC01498.jpg

DSC01499.jpg

DSC01497.jpg

Some interior shots. The magnets feature some funny sayings such as the anti-government win slogan, "Fear the Establishment". He even labelled the inside of the steering column cover.

DSC01501.jpg

DSC01502.jpg

DSC01500.jpg

Also the hand carved peace symbol hand cigarette or whatever holder that he mounted on the ashtray. The 2 notes are notes that he wrote to the car and to himself wishing it a happy 30th birthday.

DSC01503.jpg

DSC01504.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, kinda chokes you up a little bit to see just how much the previous owner loved this pickup. All the little details, writing everything down, and even wishing it a happy 30th birthday. Also sad/ironic...because people write all this stuff down so that someone down the line knows what is what, and why things were done. So now that the guy is gone, we are seeing all these notes, and looking into the history of the "Oriental Brute".

Yeap, that's why I decided to keep everything in it. I'll do the paint and bodywork back to the original white, but the labels, magnets and the touches he did to it i'm leaving in it. They aren't an eyesore and to me are incredibly cool. It brings a tear to my eye knowing someone cared and loved some old J-tin back when few people did.

Yeap, that's why I decided to keep everything in it. I'll do the paint and bodywork back to the original white, but the labels, magnets and the touches he did to it i'm leaving in it. They aren't an eyesore and to me are incredibly cool. It brings a tear to my eye knowing someone cared and loved some old J-tin back when few people did.

AMEN guys, as I wrote in the other thread. This 521 has just about the most mojo I've ever seen a Datsun have.

AMEN guys, as I wrote in the other thread. This 521 has just about the most mojo I've ever seen a Datsun have.

I went and looked at all your artwork man, and am I ever glad I did. Your work is amazing. I'll put up photos of my 76 Corona for you tomorrow here. I think you will like it. :)

I'm also going steelies and caps. They came with the truck.

Here you go. These are the others old J-tins in my garage at the moment.

1976 Toyota Corona. It's my little Boso-beater. Riken meshes, 80's rubber spoiler, stinger pipe. I've had angry looks from at least one old fox body guy over that spoiler....apparantly the rubber ones are hard to find. The flag on the roof was spray canned on over the faded off paint. Car has just over 86k miles on it, came from a field. Runs great. A/C works.

DSC01509.jpg

DSC01506.jpg

DSC01508.jpg

DSC01507.jpg

The words on the spoiler are the cars name....Long "Duk" Dong.

1981 Toyota Starlet. Found this on Craigslist. Car is rust free except for a quarter sized hole in the spare tire well and small amounts of inner fender battery box rust. Other than that, solid. Low low miles, bought from original owners grandson, claims to have around 35k on it. Car certainly looks clean enough for that claim though can't prove it. A/C works in it, completely original right down to the radiator cap. Put the Hoshinos on it and the R31 Skyline power fender mirros on it. May be selling this one soon, it's a daily driver.

DSC01505.jpg

DSC01510.jpg

DSC01475.jpg

DSC01465.jpg

My old cars that are gone now section.

My old Z car (sold now). 260Z, all steel body, flares, nose and tail. RB25 powered, Panasport Ultralights and alot more. Crazy car.

DSC01312.jpg

DSC01315.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Corolla. 4AGZE converted to Turbo, Vertex bodykit, Defi gauges, Megasquirt and handfulls of other stuff.

1PICT6114b.jpg

1PICT6057b.jpg

1PICT6044b.jpg

And her with THE hottest model at the Nopi Nationals.

ArbysNEW.jpg

Arbys3NEW.jpg

Infinity M30, RB20 swapped, Work VSKF's and other things.

686.jpg

687.jpg

694.jpg

695.jpg

693.jpg

Annnnnnd i'm spent.

i was going to tell you to post over here when you bought it, but i guess it isn't to hard to find! i am very glad you got it and decided to keep all the original stuff. so have you figured out if it's a l20b?

Fitch and i have a theary that it's a hopped up l20b swap with 5-speed. i only saw it the one time and its been like 2 years ago so i never checked. what carb is under there?

i remember dry shifting it to 5th, or at least i think i do. PO can finally rest in peace knowing it is being used and taken care of.

a little more on the back story, i dont know if she told you. supposly when the PO died, it was pulled out of a warehouse the he either owned or worked in, where it had spent it's later years busting around the complex doing chores and whatnot. i believe Rudi bought it running and ready to go with all those parts in the back. Then her granddaughter drove it to high school for a while, until they looked at it and decided the seat belts where not safe and they parked it in the driveway. so the rust only appeared during that sitting period for the last 3 years or so. otherwise it spent it's time time in a nice dry warehouse. you should post a pic of those mooncaps in the original plastic. over here the moonies are very popular.

Edited by CharlieBucket
i was going to tell you to post over here when you bought it, but i guess it isn't to hard to find! i am very glad you got it and decided to keep all the original stuff. so have you figured out if it's a l20b?

Fitch and i have a theary that it's a hopped up l20b swap with 5-speed. i only saw it the one time and its been like 2 years ago so i never checked. what carb is under there?

i remember dry shifting it to 5th, or at least i think i do. PO can finally rest in peace knowing it is being used and taken care of.

a little more on the back story, i dont know if she told you. supposly when the PO died, it was pulled out of a warehouse the he either owned or worked in, where it had spent it's later years busting around the complex doing chores and whatnot. i believe Rudi bought it running and ready to go with all those parts in the back. Then her granddaughter drove it to high school for a while, until they looked at it and decided the seat belts where not safe and they parked it in the driveway. so the rust only appeared during that sitting period for the last 3 years or so. otherwise it spent it's time time in a nice dry warehouse. you should post a pic of those mooncaps in the original plastic. over here the moonies are very popular.

She didn't give me much history on it, it was raining. The daughter was hot though, there is a story in that too. :)

It is a 5 speed, thought the idle is tooo smooooth to me to have a cam in it. I don't know though, it is fast. Muc faster than my Starlet.

Yes, a guy in Jersey bought the Z from HBZ.org. He had never left Jersey before...in his life. It was his first time out and he flew into Asslanta, drove an RB25 powered Z car with open exhaust, no gauges except temp, with an 8 gallon fuel cel home to Jersey. Stopped 13 times for gas, got pulled over by a cop that wanted a ride and made it home unscathed. That guy had balls the size of cannonballs. That is one car I wish I hadn't gotten rid of. He's done wonders with it too. Very cool guy.

I don't know though, it is fast. Muc faster than my Starlet.

You almost never hear the word 'fast' and 521 in the same sentence! Gotta at least be a L20. It that a weber carb under there?

I still can't believe how long this was on the market. What an amazing score!

I'll check but I don't think so. I mean it isn't blistering quick or anything but it is faster than the Starlet. The Starlet is bone stock though right down to the radiator cap.

But putting the Starlet up for sale so if anyone knows someone who wants a stupid clean Starlet, let me know.

I'm really digging your old cars, especially the Starlet and Corolla. Can you PM me some more pics of the Z? I GF's dad is looking for ideas of how to customize his new project. I also like the RB26 M30, sweeeeet.

Small world I think a fellow member of my z club owns that z now.

Small world I think a fellow member of my z club owns that z now.

Young guy, maybe 25 or so. Super cool. Can't remember his name, I just remember that he dressed really nice. He didn't know what sweat tea was and never had a grit. I remember the look on his face when we went to eat at this restaraunt that was in a house and someone was seated at every table. He started to eat standing up. When I got him to sit down, a little southern old lady took a shining to him and asked him to come back the next morning for Grits.

It was hilarious. I liked that guy. Tell him i'm here and i'd like to see that car again.

Sweet truck, I remember looking at it when Charlie posted it. Good luck with it, and Thanks for saving it.;)

How much for the Starlet????

Starlet may have already found a new home. Price $3000 with wheels, $2500 without. Talking to a guy about swapping it for a daily.

We met her....when she came out to throw trash away in a see through black silk sarong with white panties on and walked ever so slowly to the trash can. It was a nice show. :)

Hey I didn't get the show either. Maybe I would of bought it. I really wanted too but at that time the 510 wasn't road worthy yet. But I have a 620 now. I will post up pics soon. :D