Licensing questions for Washington residents

I am planning to move from Oregon to Washington (likely the Clarkston area) in the next 4-5 years. I'm curious about the necessary procedures and fees involved. Currently I believe there is no emissions testing in that are. Have you guys heard of plans for state-wide testing? Are registration fees still based on vehicle value? My current vehicles are 1935 Ford Pickup, 1935 Ford Sedan, 1966 El Camino, 1971 Datsun 1200, 1972 510 wagon, 1979 Cutlass, 1982 Goldwing, 1995 Neon. Can you guys up north tell me what to expect? Thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have heard of them eventually going to statewide testing. if i remember right, it will be on county by county basis starting with some of the more populated and more west counties first but eventually covering the whole state. registration of already owned vehicles hasnt been based on value for years, its $35 plus a few different taxes on it. there would also be a WA new plate fee but cant remember what it is.

Clarkston currently doesn't have any emissions testing (it's in Asotin County, which is nearly as remote as you can get). Emissions testing is done in 5 counties (King, Pierce, Snohomish, Spokane, and Clark counties) and then only parts of those. State-wide testing has been considered but testing is based on which Counties fail, or are close to failing, EPA air-quality standards. Right now that's only the Metro/Suburban areas of the 5 counties listed, but several areas that are targeted are Kitsap County (Bremerton-Silverdale-Poulsbo), Benton/Franklin counties (Pasco, Kennewick, Richland) and Thurston (Olympia, Tumwater, Lacey).

Even if you DID move into the heart of an Emissions Testing area, only the Neon would have to go through based on the current rules. The CURRENT rule is vehicles between 5-25 years old.

As far as REGISTERING the vehicles, there's no inspection (there used to be a VIN inspection but that was ended due to budget cutbacks. They still CHARGE you for it though). They simply take your existing title and do a VIN lookup to make sure it isn't stolen, then issue a Washinton title, plates, and registration. The grace period is 30 days from moving into the State to get that done. Washington requires titles for ALL vehicles being operated on public roads (that includes being towed), unlike some States that don't title boat trailers or older cars. If you had a 1909 ALCO you'd still need a title to drive it on the road.

As for fees, I'd expect that in addition to the standard $35 registration, there'd be local taxes, plus the title fee, plate fee, VIN inspection (lookup) fee, and subagent fees unless you do it at the County's main office. I'd bugdet $100 each except the Neon which would be a bit more, and feel better if it ends up being closer to $50 each.

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. You noticed the "as remote as you can get part." That's my objective:cool:. I don't worry much about the Neon because the wagon should be done and replacing it before the move. The Cutlass will be OK but the El Camino was a Cali car that originally Had a A.I.R. pump on it. Those parts are spendy and I hope to avoid searching for them. Wasn't sure about the cut-off years. I keep an eye on California because their laws frequently become federal a few years later. I was mostly curious about fees. Isn't that the real reason for all these government agencies?

My pickup has a one-time-only registration on 1935 plates. Does Washington do that?

Move farther north :D

Yeah we are going to be dead and gone before the whole state is emission tested!! Not that it would matter anyways, with the amount of pollution control in the early 70's a KA or SR will pass with flying colors!!!

I am planning to move from Oregon to Washington (likely the Clarkston area) in the next 4-5 years. I'm curious about the necessary procedures and fees involved. Currently I believe there is no emissions testing in that are. Have you guys heard of plans for state-wide testing? Are registration fees still based on vehicle value? My current vehicles are 1935 Ford Pickup, 1935 Ford Sedan, 1966 El Camino, 1971 Datsun 1200, 1972 510 wagon, 1979 Cutlass, 1982 Goldwing, 1995 Neon. Can you guys up north tell me what to expect? Thanks.

Why would you want to move too Clarkston????:lol: heh, i live in lewiston across the river. Although it sounds like it will be a while before ya do. maybe by then we will actually have an established club you will beable to be a part of.

Edited by LCDC

I wasn't really looking to move to Clarkston exactly. I have been scouting farther south. Between Asotin and Anatone (Acetone?). Away from the people but close enough to Lewiston/Clarkston to still commute. I'm just completely burned out on all the high density stupidity in the Portland area -- Ratsun members excluded of course. In 5 years my daughter will be semi out of the house and hopefully the housing market will be closer to where I want it. I want more land and less neighbors.

you only need to be 30 in washington for a collectors plate.

ive got a 78 celica to prove it.

and as of yet there is no renewal...

and a guaranteed grandfather clause if we get nazi cali testing.

you can even run old plates if they are from the right period.