Anyone have experience fixing a NES?

So here's the situation. I got an old Nintendo system at a garage sale a year or two ago and figured it was broken (most are) bought the new pins to replace the old bad ones and it was supposed to go together and work like new!

Well.. not quite. Seems my system didn't want to play nice. After replacing the pins it continues to not work, it would still blink. It would occasionally play games but after so much fidgeting and cleaning of the cartridge it almost wasn't worth it!

I put it away and just wrote it off as a simply broken system. I've gotten it back out to continue working on it recently after deciding to get my old Atari 2600 to work and figured i'd give it another try. Well after a attempting a few more techniques I found online it continues to not work but occasionally if it feels like it I can play both of my Mario brothers cartridges.... nothing else. :blink: At the moment it will either show a solid color on the screen or a jumbled mess of pixels from the game inserted.

Anyways, I know it'd be pretty rare that some one else on this forum has done some video game system repair but I figured I'd throw it our there and see if some one can offer some advice or possibly has a "broken" system that they might want to part with that I can use for parts.

Thanks. :cool:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Iv never gone fixing an NES specifically before but I do have experience building and repairing circuit boards

Hm, What kind of cleaner did you use to clean some of the connectors for those circuit boards? I hear the more alcohol content the better. I've been using isopropyl alchohol, and wondering if I should be using something stronger.

I'm also wondering if there are any tricks to cleaning the connectors on the circuit board. The connectors the nintendo uses almost looks like the same connector on the video cards that you would plug in to a PCI slot. I've tried alcohol and I've tried using a pencil eraser but neither seems to clean it. Steel wool? would that work or just destroy it? The connector its self looks fairly worn out or dirty.. I can't quite tell.

Maybe open the cartridges? Zelda must had a battery or something to save files right? In Mario you can never save that MF, you just play it. Maybe they could be dirty and messed up inside?

I know the old zelda had the batteries but most of the games i've been plugging in don't use batteries and batteries would only keep it from saving not from starting. :(

I wonder if it is the games themselves. To get a really good cleaning you need to take the plastic cover off the games to clean both sides of the contacts.

I used the same new connector you have and the NES works almost flawlessly.

I do keep a supply of four systems as backup but they all work. :)

stacked.jpg

Hm, What kind of cleaner did you use to clean some of the connectors for those circuit boards? I hear the more alcohol content the better. I've been using isopropyl alchohol, and wondering if I should be using something stronger.

I'm also wondering if there are any tricks to cleaning the connectors on the circuit board. The connectors the nintendo uses almost looks like the same connector on the video cards that you would plug in to a PCI slot. I've tried alcohol and I've tried using a pencil eraser but neither seems to clean it. Steel wool? would that work or just destroy it? The connector its self looks fairly worn out or dirty.. I can't quite tell.

I used an IPA alcohol, so basically the same stuff your using. the problems might not be in your connection, as much as 20v of ESD (electro static discharge) can fry board components. to put that into perspective the lowest ESD shock you feel is about 3,000v

if you want to try a replacement systems or anything Iv noticed quite a few on the Portland CL, I could pick one up for you since Ill be in Medford/Ashland on Thur for a week or so.

I got a few of those replacment pins off ebay. Two of them were faulty, but one that does work, only works on games that are very clean.

+1 on the game geine, it does help a lot. Otherwise its the "blow, insert, tray again" method till it comes up normal.

You could try looking for an old yellowed one on ebay that plays games (the yellowed ones usually go for cheap) and replace the innards.

I just did that recently with mine. I had one that was like brand new on the inside, but the case was beat up. Found one in my grandad's garage that had the box and everything, and the outside looked great but it didn't work too well, so I just did some surgery. Now the one that looks and works good is sitting in the box on a shelf gathering dollar signs. :D

DSCF0037.jpg

dude get an emulator! you can even buy USB adaptors for the NES and even SNES controlers. its what i use, and i keep my NES all sealed up

Nah, Its not the same. I've used them before and just not quite as fun, plus the hunt to find these old games is interesting.

I wonder if it is the games themselves. To get a really good cleaning you need to take the plastic cover off the games to clean both sides of the contacts.

I used the same new connector you have and the NES works almost flawlessly.

I do keep a supply of four systems as backup but they all work. :)

stacked.jpg

You know I thought the same thing and opened up the game and cleaned the contacts and same old problem.

Your collection there almost looks like my SNES and Dreamcast system collection :D I think i've owned like 10 super nintendos in the past year? Buy and sell. :P

I used an IPA alcohol, so basically the same stuff your using. the problems might not be in your connection, as much as 20v of ESD (electro static discharge) can fry board components. to put that into perspective the lowest ESD shock you feel is about 3,000v

if you want to try a replacement systems or anything Iv noticed quite a few on the Portland CL, I could pick one up for you since Ill be in Medford/Ashland on Thur for a week or so.

I don't think it would be a problem of ESD, you would figure it'd be completely toast if that was the case.

You know if you can find some there that are cheap enough, like $5-10 depending on games and controllers i'd be up for that since i'm having no luck down here. :(

i have the action set pictured above (minus the box). been meaning to sell it on ebay, but ive been too busy, lazy ... Ive also got game genie and a few games. I believe everything works, i always took care of my stuff. lemme know if you want it.:D

i use emulators cuz i dont like clutter (tons of large consoles and games taking up space, but i agree.... its just not the same.

i have the action set pictured above (minus the box). been meaning to sell it on ebay, but ive been too busy, lazy ... Ive also got game genie and a few games. I believe everything works, i always took care of my stuff. lemme know if you want it.:D

i use emulators cuz i dont like clutter (tons of large consoles and games taking up space, but i agree.... its just not the same.

PM me a price. I just talked to a friend last night who might have one to sell. I'm not looking to spend a whole lot since I already have all the stuff just need to get it to work. :(

I don't mind the space all my games and systems take up. Fun to see the look on people's face when they see the size of my collection and the games that are in it. There aren't many systems I don't have (most I choose not to have because they suck :P )

I bought the X-arcade joystick so even though its on a computer at least I have a real arcade style control.

Then again, I do enjoy the 90's arcade games a bit.

Yeah, love those arcade sticks. I got one for the PS2 years ago and it looks like I took a chainsaw to an arcade machine and brought it home. :lol: Wish I had one for my dreamcast so I could rock it up on MvC2

For some true old school arcade classics you got to pick up a neogeo arcade machine emulator. I found one years ago and have since lost it but each rom was around 30mb+ but you were playing the exact arcade machine rom. It was awesome to play some of the games I wasted many quarters on and remember games that never made it to consoles.

Edited by Gensaiken

Buy a cheapo NOC (nes on a chip) and hook up the 72 pin connector board to that. The same thing can be done to the AOC (atari on a chip) as well to make it a standalone system. Also, look around the benheck forums, those may be of help if you haven't checked them out yet.

I still have a fully functioning NES, SNES, Master System, 2 Dreamcasts (1 dead), N64, PS2, Xbox (yay modchip), DS (yay N5ds no having to pay for games), PSP (yay modded firmware), GBA, OG Gameboy. Working on getting a PS3 soon, for I am a MGS fanboy and must finish MGS4.

One day I'm gonna set it up so that my desktop pc and xbox are in the same computer case. Been done several times before, but if I'm going to wire up a VGA connection to the xbox, I might as well have it hooked up to the same moniter and get a KVM switch or something.

Edit: Noticed you talking about the arcade sticks, I have on for the NES and my Dreamcast. Fuckin MVC2 is bitchin with it. I remember seeing a thing on Hackaday.com that talks about making your own arcade stick on the cheap and easy.

Edited by djlotus

You know if you can find some there that are cheap enough, like $5-10 depending on games and controllers i'd be up for that since i'm having no luck down here. :(

didnt find anything real cheap and I leave in the morning, but if you want a hand tinkering let me know. Ill be down for a bit, I think we need a medford area ratsun meet :fu:

I'm putting together a whole MAME arcade in a generic cabinet. Its going slow because now that the computer is up and running I end up playing games too much instead of getting the cabinet all set up.

arcade01.jpgarcade02.jpg

arcade03.jpgarcade04.jpg

arcade05.jpg

I also have the single player one with a GameCube adaptor

:blink:

I found the arcade cabinet off of craigslist. A guy in Tacoma had a couple and sold this one to make more room. I got it for $80.

free computer and $10 for a 21" CRT monitor off craigslist. New 2 player joystick from Frys $119

The arcade setup is something I have wanted for about 8 years and just recently started putting it together.

so I've been doing a bit more work on the NES and can get most of the games to play but they are kind of glitchy and the system kind of chooses when it will play. Its really annoying. I don't know why I can't find NES anywhere but I find SNES like they are dirt. Just picked up two in one week both fairly complete.

Hope to buy one from a friend soon. :)

Fingers crossed.

Skib, feel free to shoot me a PM if you ever want to meet up while you are down here.