5 Speed for a J 13

doord521

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This came up on the EarlyDatsunClub several years ago without a definite YES/NO answer. What is true is that one guy had an imported J16 and bolted up a dogleg 5-speed from a '77 200SX. Had to use the L-series starter and figure a bunch of other stuff too. Here's a link to the complete thread:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/EarlyDatsunClub/message/4577

I just posted there to see if anyone knows for sure, and will post here if there is.

Okay, just the "word" and it's nada on the J13.

Apparantly, the J16 came out of South America and was in the 620 pickups while the US was starting to use the L series engines. The South America version used the newer 5 speed transmissions, and Datsun/Nissan had a factory plate to bolt on the back of a J-series engine to mount the 5 speed trans.

Looks like we need to find a J16 engine plate and make templates. :cool:

Yes, but that's easy... the shaft sticks out past the bell flange on both J and L series transmissions. The 67+ J-series trans used the same input splines as the L-series as far as I know (it's the same transmission, F4W63) which are the same on the doglegs and longtail trans. Only thing to determine is if the input shaft is any different in length. I don't think it is, but it would have to be measured.

So I might just have to do this and put one of my 5spds in the NL. I'm not too concerned with the best highway gear since the E1 won't have much grunt for pulling hills in 5th :) ...hhmmm....Paula's dogleg will be coming out to make room for a zx trans....the dogleg would be a nice trans for the NL.

• 4 years later...