Camshaft question

kgrantkey

I'm no good with micrometers, with that said I was trying to check the difference in a stock L20 vs L18 camshaft. I couldn't tell.

If I were to use the search function could I find info on the best stock cam for an L20B with minor flow work on the head and intake, and a slightly larger carb? I prefer torque to top end by far, that's one reason I'm contemplating stroking my L20B.

Should I search the 510 sites? They seem to have tried it all. Oh, if it makes a difference nobody on here has a lower budget than me.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't tell with a micrometer alone, typically you put it in an engine and time the valve lift.

The stock cams aren't very different. There are probably four grinds, but none are really max perfomance.

Just call Iskenderian and tell them what you want. They'll make a modern grind for max performance in the RPM range where you want it.

You can't tell with a micrometer alone, typically you put it in an engine and time the valve lift.

The stock cams aren't very different. There are probably four grinds, but none are really max perfomance.

:confused:

why not???

measure the round portion of the lobe(small), then measure the large end.

the diff X 1.5??? will be the lift. no calc from me for duration...

there very well could be the same lift on diff cams.

no budget = used.

if you remove a cam from a random head, get(& label) the rockers/lash caps too!!!

Thanks guys, I have everything labeled & laid out so as not to mix up the parts although I sometimes wonder how much difference it really makes. I wouldn't hesitate to grab a used rocker arm off another engine if I needed one.

I will say I was surprised at the difference a good carb tuned properly can make.

The L18 and L20B appear to have the same cam pt.no. L16s have 2-3 different ones I think.

L20B/L-18 cam: 248 degrees of duration and 0.413" of lift at the valve.

START O degrees TDC compression.

126 degrees exhaust opens. (54 degree BBDC)

BDC

344 degrees intake opens. (16 degrees BTDC)

TDC

374 degrees exhaust closes. (14 degrees ATDC)

BDC

592 degrees intake closes. (52 degrees ABDC)

END 720 degrees TDC compression.