My fuel tank sprung a leak on my 521

NSRz32

Well like the title says, my fuel tank decided to start leaking from the front seam today on my 521. Its the original so I'm not really shocked. Anyone know of a place to score a clean used one or possibly a new one that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg? If not I was always thinking I could run a fuel cell in the bed.

Any ideas?

• Like 1
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you could yank all of the stock shit out like I did on my old 71 521 and run a spun aluminum tank in the bed?

I was actually just talking with my buddy about something like that. Any idea where I could pick one up?

• Like 1

hey me too mine sprung a leak.......only when i fill it along with my crappy gas guage its alot to deal with kle t me know if you find a source for tanks. im gonna try another one out of another truck but its pretty rusty too.........hopefully it leaks less then my truck in this rain.........was a soggy drive this morning especially with out a heater that works.....can you saw indoor fog..

• Like 1

I'm really leaning towards the spun aluminum tank. I've found a source for them that does tanks for dune buggies. About 160 bucks for a 10 gallon with all the hardware to mount it and fittings and such. That will fit the look I'm going for best I think. I'll keep you guys posted.

• Like 1

I took mine to a radiator shop and they fixed it for like $60. Then I sealed the inside and painted the outside with masterseries silver and undercoating rattlecan.

MyGastank.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished putting in the aluminum tank yesterday

As you can see, there was no saving the rusted stock tank

013.jpg

And here's the spun aluminum Empi tank installed

018.jpg

019.jpg

Thanks for you help guys :)

• Like 1
Yeah i see how bad the stock tank was/is. The new one looks great. You hook up the sender or do you have a dipstick? :D

Thanks!

As for the sender, I'll ghetto it and just look in the tank or use a ruler or something haha

That looks sweet, did you run new line while you were doing the swap? If you did a sender, please take some pics of it and share them, I would like to see how you did it. Nice looking install, I like the tilted neck.

wont you be able to only use like 9 gallons of the 10 with the tank tilted like that......heres another guage idea two threaded 90's in the side of the end of the tank with some clear fuel resistent line between them running perpendicular the the bed floor. the hose would show you how much gas you had...at all times. i did this on a poly tank i used for solvent. worked well.:mad:

wont you be able to only use like 9 gallons of the 10 with the tank tilted like that......heres another guage idea two threaded 90's in the side of the end of the tank with some clear fuel resistent line between them running perpendicular the the bed floor. the hose would show you how much gas you had...at all times. i did this on a poly tank i used for solvent. worked well.:mad:

It will definitely cost me a gallon or two in what I can fit in it but I had never run more than half tank in the stock fuel tank anyway so its no big deal. I don't/won't use the truck as a daily driver or for big road trips anyway. Its just an around town toy :)