Pre-Cup Holder Datsuns - An upgrade you can do with simple tools at home

Problem

Early Datsuns trucks didn't have any built-in cup holders.

Result

Lots of spilled soda pop, water, tea, coffee, etc. usually on the floor.

Solution

A custom, high performance cup holder.

Raw Materials

1/8th" by 1.5" x 10" aluminum flat bar (Lowe's)

Cup Holder (Marine Supply Store)

Machine Screws with lock nuts

Tools

Electric Drill

1/4" Drill Bit and a 5/16" Drill Bit

Screwdriver and/or wrenches depending upon the type of machine screws or small bolts you're using to attach the cup-holder to the bracket and the bracket to the top of the dash.

The pictures kind of tell the process, it helps to already have a thick chunk of plate aluminum bolted to the top of the dash.

Try to pick a foam muggie color that compliments your truck's interior. I chose green because that's all they had.

BarBuoy1.jpg

Measure, cut and bend your aluminum strip and then drill the appropriate holes and assemble your custom built, hi-performance cup holder.

cupholder1.jpg

cupholder2.jpg

There you go... problem solved for under $30.00

:)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could of u just bolted it to the door? That is where I would of placed it to free up room for the head unit. I like the idea, but not were its placed... What would happen it it spills into the head unit? Just thinking of the worse case scenario... Nice!

You crack me up man! Love it! BTW I think I saw a post of yours over at The H.A.M.B. abut your gauge. I've been a member for a year but just made my first intro post. In general it is not the most import friendly place over there! No matter how old the import is. Not that I expected them to be!

But there seem to be enough guys that don't care what you drive as long as it is cool.

I like this one better. Less then $10 and can mount it to the console, door, dash, etc. Folds up out of the way when not in use too.

http://tinyurl.com/cudnfo

c8b7_1.JPG

There are lots of them on eBay. Some clip onto the vent. Some slip on the door, all under $10

See them here:

http://tinyurl.com/cv53cm

I like the Bar Buoy because it has two swivel points, that's the "hi-performance" portion of this particular upgrade and this write-up.

The stationary option is also a good option, not sure if it qualifies as hi performance as compared to the two swivel points of the Bar Buoy.

Personal preference.

:D

• 4 weeks later...

I have a stock center console on my 77 620 kc, and there is a large flat tray in front of the shifter. I put a half a roll of duct tape on it a few weeks ago, and after a nice warm day, it seemed to like it's location, and was conveniantly the right size to hold cups from the fast food place, or cans of pop, or bottles of beer, or whatever, and I think i am into it for around 2.00 worth of tape I won't be using....

D

I have a stock center console on my 77 620 kc, and there is a large flat tray in front of the shifter. I put a half a roll of duct tape on it a few weeks ago, and after a nice warm day, it seemed to like it's location, and was conveniantly the right size to hold cups from the fast food place, or cans of pop, or bottles of beer, or whatever, and I think i am into it for around 2.00 worth of tape I won't be using....

D

That's a good one :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Problem

Early Datsuns trucks didn't have any built-in cup holders.

Result

Lots of spilled soda pop, water, tea, coffee, etc. usually on the floor.

Solution

A custom, high performance cup holder.

Raw Materials

1/8th" by 1.5" x 10" aluminum flat bar (Lowe's)

Cup Holder (Marine Supply Store)

Machine Screws with lock nuts

Tools

Electric Drill

1/4" Drill Bit and a 5/16" Drill Bit

Screwdriver and/or wrenches depending upon the type of machine screws or small bolts you're using to attach the cup-holder to the bracket and the bracket to the top of the dash.

The pictures kind of tell the process, it helps to already have a thick chunk of plate aluminum bolted to the top of the dash.

Try to pick a foam muggie color that compliments your truck's interior. I chose green because that's all they had.

BarBuoy1.jpg

Measure, cut and bend your aluminum strip and then drill the appropriate holes and assemble your custom built, hi-performance cup holder.

cupholder1.jpg

cupholder2.jpg

There you go... problem solved for under $30.00

:)

Seems to work OK. Ya gotta dig that high tech navigation system there in the middle LOL