Need Help With My Lights

Docsis510

so when i hit the alarm all my lights work. when i go to trun on the engine they just shut off. the only ones that work are the low beams, brake,turn signals. the ones that dont turn on are the high beams, license plate and all the fender and quarter panel lights. i checked the fuse box and all the fuses are good. i was wondering if any one might know whats going on?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Remove alarm & toss in closest dumpster, return wiring back to stock [if poss.], install starter interupt kill switch & hide said switch in car, install a blinking LED light from Radio shack in dash that can be switched on & off..if you wanna :D

where can one purchase a starter interupt kill switch?!?

i just ran into a problem some wat like this today.. all my lights work but as soon as i switch to my high beams the head lights go out. im to tired to check out the fuses tonight but if all of them are ok wat would i check next?

Cl all the fuses and make sure the contack on the fuses are clean.

Then I would ck the relay on the strut tower.

If lows work then then you put it on High and all the front lights go out. its usually in the realy. It swaps to a 2 wire ground. instead of one.

Your high beam swithc at the steering wheel is OK since all the lights went off to its telling th relay what to do.

If possible pull the connector off and reinstall it.at the relay

Not to steal this thread but a quick additional question for Hainz.

If you turn on the high's and the wires heat up and the lights go out after a few moment then do you have a bad ground (or 2) or is the relay at fault ???

also if it's the ground could you give a tip as to where they are grounded.

You have H4 lamps on the stock harness??????

510lights the connector are all wired to the battery.This is stock wiring!!!!!!!!!!

Ck this by getting a test light grod the alligator end. then put the sharp pointy part on the lamp connectors. The test light will light up. That means its wired correctly. This is with the Lights OFF during this Check!!!!!!!!

So when you pull the switch it routes a ground to one of the connetors in back of the lamp. since the other side has power already on it it passes thru the element thus making light.

Now remeber the LOWbeam lamp has 2 elements in there but one one will come ON wither its on Low or High. It goes from one side to the other.

Highs

when the High beam arm is pulled it puts a ground on the relay thus throwing another BIGGER contack to gound 2 grounds I think.(remember the light all have power on there) One to the one side of the High beam lamp. thus making the HIGHS turn ON.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)