My '73 Datsun 510 - KA24DE Supercharged Build

Now that I've been progressing on my new build, I figured I'd start my build thread to get things rolling.

My 280z has now been outta commission for over 2 years in its ever ongoing quest to fulfill my extreme needs of "while I'm at" syndrome for my badass ride.

As I know the path I've chosen for the 280z is going to take a lot of time and money (as if it hasn't taken enough as it is), I've decided to temporarily put it on the back burner and focus my energy on another project that will be built as my daily driver.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So on January 21st, 2009, the journey to find a decent 2 door 510 to make into a daily driver finally came about. I bought my 2nd 510. My 1st one was short lived as I bought a 4 door in Nov. 2008 because I couldn't find a decently priced 2 door in good condition at the time, but then about a month later my luck changed and I sold the 4 door in order to acquire my now current 2 door.

She was flat black and a bit rough around the edges. Completely stripped interior besides the dash. No engine, no transmission. No weather seals. Pretty much nothing but a rolling gutted shell. I overpaid a bit, but she was a good start to let loose on what I wanted to do with a few key things in the right direction.

I'm sure many of you might have seen her when she was for sale on CL and around on the 510 forums late last year. The PO told me a price quite a bit lower than his original asking price and I accepted the offer.

PROS: Front Coilovers with camber plates (using 510 sectioned struts & 240sx coil spring rates), new KYB rear shocks, KA/SR x-member and transmission mount, adjustable tc rods, BRE front lip spoiler, Sparco quick release hub & steering wheel, Sparco seat mount bracket and Sparco harness, 14x7 Konig Rewinds, some Energy Suspension bushings (not yet installed).

CONS: Rear springs cut way too low (rear axles are beyond extreme angle and have binding issues), body was mildly beat up with small dents and dings all over every panel (later to find plenty of bondo among the car), rusted out passenger side rear 1/4 panel, no weather seals, no interior at all, misc trim pieces off the car (I have but have to find new bolts/screws for them), was said to have subi lsd (NOT!).

Click pics to enlarge:

th_IMG_0576.jpg th_IMG_0575.jpg th_IMG_0578.jpg th_IMG_0577.jpg

th_IMG_0579.jpg th_IMG_0581.jpg th_IMG_0582.jpg

Plan is to have her ready to drive to Oregon in June for the Canby 2009 show!

The Immediate Plans:

Fix Rust, body work & paint (DONE, see posts below)

ZG Flares (DONE, see posts below)

16x8 +10 Rota RB-R (DONE, see posts below)

225/45/16 BFG g-force t/a KDW-2 (DONE, see posts below)

Weld up misc. engine bay holes and rattle can the bay

KA24DE engine swap (need to install)

custom m62 supercharger setup (need to install)

GReddy E-manage (need to install)

Brian Crower stage 2 cams (need to install)

GReddy or Hot Shot header (need to install)

T3 Rear coilover setup (need to install)

T3 Front strut bar (need to install)

DGR Fabrication ka24 Front Sway Bar (need to install)

Rear Disc Swap (need to order)

Weather Stripping Kit (need to order)

Modified Rear X-Member (need to order)

Seats (need to find)

Edited by 280zForce
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

January 21st, 2009 - Bought the car and then immediately had it towed over to the paint shop for rust repair, body & paint work.

I would've done the rust repair, body work & installed the zg flares myself but my dad said this car isn't coming home till it was in driving condition since I already have my 280z and a countless number of Z parts consuming our 3 car garage. And the price to install the flares was ridiculous via the shop, so I decided to do it after it got painted and hack up the new paint and do it myself. Yeah, yeah I know.

I went on a whim and picked a color I've never seen in person... and every pic I see of it gives it a lil different appeal depending on the lighting.

Color: 2009 Nissan Skyline - Titanium Metallic

Click Pics to enlarge:

th_IMG_3387.jpg th_nissan-gtr-titanium-rear.jpg th_nissan-gtr-titanium.jpg

Progress body work and picked up a spoiler for it for free, the guy didn't know what it was for but it looked like it would work and I do believe it is the BRE spoiler for these cars cuz it fits up great. I may have to make a mold of it to reproduce it.

Click Pics to enlarge:

th_IMG_1009.jpg th_IMG_1010.jpg th_IMG_1011.jpg th_IMG_1013.jpg

March 4th, 2009: - I return home from a 2 week trip and go to the paint shop to tow my car home. Yes, it wasn't supposed to come home till it was running, BUT some complications brought her home a lil early. Which is fine by me :thumbsup: My dad, doesn't like it much but he's dealing with it.

Don't mind the goofy stickers on the windows, was from PO and they've since been removed.

Click Pics to enlarge:

th_IMG_2053.jpg th_IMG_2068.jpg th_IMG_2081.jpg th_IMG_2096.jpg

March 7th, 2009: - Test fitting the new wheels on some spare shop tires while I wait for my new tires to come in.

Click Pics to enlarge:

th_IMG_2221.jpg th_IMG_2223.jpg th_IMG_2224.jpg th_IMG_2225.jpg

March 22nd, 2009: - Cut the fenders, installed the ZG flares, 25mm spacers in the rear, mounted the new 16x8 +10 Rota RB-R wheels and tires.

Click pics to enlarge:

th_IMG_2475.jpg th_IMG_2831.jpg

April 2nd, 2009: - Took the jdm fender mirrors off the Z as it won't need them for awhile anyway and installed them on the 510.

Click pic to enlarge:

th_IMG_2830.jpg

Edited by 280zForce

Awaiting for some new parts to arrive I ordered a couple weeks ago:

T3 Rear Coilovers

T3 Front Strut Bar

DGR Fabrication ka24 Front Sway Bar

FutoFab Front & Rear Fiberglass Bumpers

Oh yeah... shameless plus, I'm a retailer for Techno Toy Tuning (often referred to as T3).

Edited by 280zForce

Well crap! I thought I was the only one with a 510 trying to do this motor swap... I guess I have some competition/motivation to finish the supercharger install!

Good luck, the car's turning out beautiful so far! I have a feeling that with your deeper pockets and more play time, you'll probably finish the KA-R swap before me.

What are you doing for the adapter plate?

Well crap! I thought I was the only one with a 510 trying to do this motor swap... I guess I have some competition/motivation to finish the supercharger install!

Good luck, the car's turning out beautiful so far! I have a feeling that with your deeper pockets and more play time, you'll probably finish the KA-R swap before me.

What are you doing for the adapter plate?

I already have an adapter plate and everything I need to bolt it right up. I just have to clean up the KA engine I have get it all situated first. Only other thing I might do is get a pulley upgrade so I can run like 9-11 psi.

Are you running the same s/c?

I already have an adapter plate and everything I need to bolt it right up. I just have to clean up the KA engine I have get it all situated first. Only other thing I might do is get a pulley upgrade so I can run like 9-11 psi.

Any more details on the supercharger setup? Where did you get the adapter plate? Which supercharger are you running? What about engine management?

Any more details on the supercharger setup? Where did you get the adapter plate? Which supercharger are you running? What about engine management?

all listed in my 1st post after the pics... under the immediate plans.

but it's a m62 supercharger and going to be running GReddy E-manage (which I already have) for now I believe. The adapter plate was from someone else who was running a KA-R setup, not sure on the specifics, BUT I'm sure I could have some cnc made of the one I have if need be.

I'm tempted to run my mega squirt setup from my Z though since it's undergoing massive construction anyway. Damn, what to do, what to do.

April 9th, 2009: - pulled out the new kyb shocks (for sale btw - 0 miles on them) & crappy stock springs in the rear that were cut from a PO and waaaay too low.

Measured them and they were cut 2" down, talk about losing integrity in a spring and causing binding issues. Either way I'd never run cut springs, just not the safe way to do things if you ask me. Yes, I know besides coilovers, there isn't much choice other than to cut your springs. I tip my hat off to those of you who drive them around like that, but I like to do things right.

Installed the new rear coilover conversion courtesy of Techno Toy Tuning... anyone who's interested, please hit me up as I'm a vendor for Techno Toy and he offers very high end quality stuff.

Click pics to enlarge

th_IMG_2861.jpg th_IMG_2859.jpg th_IMG_2869.jpg

Yeah. Eaton m62 from a Frontier/Xterra. I'm still rebuilding/cleaning my other KA as well. I don't have an adapter plate, though... Any chance you can give me a ballpark figure to have one duplicated for me? Save me the headache, at least.

Did you port the m62 at all? Also, the 4 oval holes can be blocked up for more boost! Great site right here:

http://captainoblivious.tripod.com/truck/blower.html

I'm serious about having a copy of yours made, though. PM me if you can have it done, and we can work something out.

Best of luck, here's some motivation (for sound):

can you make a mold from that rear BRE spoiler ?sure could make some money from that one :) If so let me know I would like one

I had planned on it, think I even mentioned it above in my 2nd post. As I do make composite parts for the s30 Zs already. I'll have to work on getting into the 510 parts after I organize the Z stuff and get that going.

It'll get done, just can't put an eta on it yet.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...