510 stock tach?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I could help, but...

The Technical Bulletin - Installation of a Tachometer on 510 All Models - says three wires, black, green/white, and a white loop. Ground, light system, wired in series with coil wire.

I have an original 510 tach awaiting installation. Sure enough, that is the wire colors.

Saw your pic in the For Sale section. Maybe yours has been rewired?

Edited by dgi
yeah i couldn't find how to wire it so im just going to trade it for a matchbox dizzy. well it has 3 cables for the tach and four for the light bulbs.

mine had two wires going to the coil and the third was hooked up to a wire in the body harness.

I'll bring my distributor back to san diego if you want to trade me :)

I have a complete drivetrain from my swap sitting around

• 5 months later...
wanted to see if anyone here knows how to hook up a stock tach for a 510. it has 3 cables a red one, a black with green stripe, and a black with white stripe. any information will be highly appreciated. thanks

Well, I think I may own this tach now. I too have the question about where these three wires go.

From all that I have read, I guess that these wires have been changed out.

DQ article said that the 3 wire tach usually has a black (ground) a green (+12V) and a black with green stripe (- coil).

The circuit board that these three wires come from has numbers at each wire. I have

#1-Black/green (neg. side of coil)?

#2-Red (+12)?

#5-Black/white (ground)?

Does any one have a three wire tach that they could look at and tell me what color wire coincides with each number on the board?

DSC_0286-1.jpg

Once I know that, then I can figure out which wire goes where.

Thanks

Edited by tlap

Stop guessing:eek:

From the Bluebirds List Archives:

Dime Quarterly Volume 2 Issue 4

make sure you hooked it up correctly. If your tach has four wires coming out of the back, connect them l ike this: black wire to ground, green wire to +12V, two white wires in ser ies to the negative side of the coil. (This means remove the wire from the negative side of the coil and connect it to one of the white wires, and co nnect the other white wire to where the coil wire was.) If it still doesn' t work, try reversing the two white wires.

If your tach has only three wires connect them like this: again Black to ground, Green to +12, and B lack with green stripe to negative side of coil. (no series connection here).

With electronic ignitions, you may find the tachometer to have spuriou s readings due to the higher current (assuming a late model ignition coil was fitted when you went to the electronic ignition). DQ electronic guru,

Tom Walter, recommends the use of a 1K resistor in series with the coil wire if you are running an electronic ignition. (I have had good luck using the stock ballast resistor.) This will protect the electronics in the tach ometer from the higher voltage that is given off by an electronic ignition

• Like 1

I agree 100% Quick510, I do NOT want to guess! I read that DQ article, but this tach does not have the green wire, and it has a black with a white stripe.

I dont want to assume anything either. I was hoping that some one can positively identify which wire goes where on the circuit board.

I agree 100% Quick510, I do NOT want to guess! I read that DQ article, but this tach does not have the green wire, and it has a black with a white stripe.

I dont want to assume anything either. I was hoping that some one can positively identify which wire goes where on the circuit board.

Looks like someone did an upgrade to that tach replacing the stock internals with a later model tach's internals.

Maybe the article will help too. You will need to get a copy of the back issue to read the entire article.

http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/articles/tech_tachrepair.html

I have the article I am going to post it in the HOW TO section of the fix a tach

I am pretty sure that all of the articles in the DQ are copyright protected. Posting info from their publication is a no no without permission.

One of the DQ editors is a member on this forum too.

If we all just give away the great info that the DQ provides us, the DQ will not be around to continue providing the great 510 info.

People need to buy their own subscriptions. At only $15 a year, it would be a worthwhile investment and help keep the DQ in business. I know this is Ratsun but $15 is only like one pizza or a 12 pack of beer.

SUPPORT THE DIME QUARTERLY!

I do have that article, and it is great if I have to modify it.

I would sure like to see a picture of a three wire tach so that I can test it before I do the mod...........

If someone has a tach sitting around, could you snap a picture of it? Please? Anyone?:)

After reading the rest of that article again, I think you are right quik510, the notches in the white plastic have been cut out. And this circuit board is a round, 3 wire, just like the 200SX.

Unfortunately I can still only guess as to where the wires are supposed to go.

So......................

Does any one have a '77-'79 200SX tach sitting around???????

Edited by tlap

I'll post this here too, to clarify.

I discovered that on the circuit board terminal #1 is to coil- (through a balast resistor), #2 to +12v, and #5 goes to ground.

I got it all connected and adjusted the variable resistor to match an external tach at 3000RPM.

I have read on one of these forums that the automatic wagon does not have the 3 prong connector wrapped in blue tape in the factory harness. My wagon was a 4 speed car and it does have this 3 prong connector, it must be the same harness as the sedans?

DSC_0286-1.jpg

and here it is in the car. It is working GREAT!

Man it feels good when you get a problem figured out and it all comes together.

DSC_02733-1.jpg

I got it all connected and adjusted the variable resistor to match an external tach at 3000RPM.

Hey, I'm tryin' to get my stock tach to work like it should. Someone said put a 1k resistor between the coil and tach(mine's a 3 wire also). Didn't affect anything. You said something about adjusting the "variable resistor". Is that one that you personally wired in? Or is there something I overlooked in the stock setup... if you did it, did you wire into between the coil and black/green wire? Thanks.

The variable resistor is on the circuit board. See where the three wires are on the picture above? just behind them there is a blue resistor, behind that and to the left (next to the #3) is the variable resistor. It is adjustable. I just brought the engine RPM up to 3000, and noted if my factory tach indicated high or low. Then make an adjustment on the variable resistor. Check it again and adjust as necessary.

I need to do the same thing to my stock tach for the vg swap too. I saved the tach from a 280zx and I am hoping to take the guts from it and make it work in the stock housing.

If you find out more info, please let me know.

I would think that if the guts from a 6 cyl tack would physically fit into the stock tach body, it would work. All the pointer is, is a meter movement. I believe that they all basically work on the same principle. So if the 6 cyl. board was sending the signal to the meter movement, you would have a relatively accurate RPM indication.

The DQ article http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/a...achrepair.html

does touch on this a bit.

If it were me, I would find that 70's to 80's Nissan 6 cyl. tach and at least try it.

Just my $.02

I agree. It should work. I believe the firstboard gathers the signal and the second inner board runs the needle. Which is why you are able to take a stock tach and remove the induction board and install a 3 wire board in its place. If I owned a 6 cylinder motor I would test it out.

Fuzz....I use a Summit adjustable shift lite, no pills, just a knob on back, was cheep.....just wired it into the tach wires behind the dash. Wires just like a tach...hot...ground...signal. Im using an old Sun tach....had to use the msd tachadapt with the MSD6. Just got the same shift lite for sons Camaro, his stock tach worked with 6a with out an adapter. Will let you know if shift lite works w/o adapter.