Ignition key switch won't kill engine

chumstone

I've been working on my wagon and took out the dash harness and reinstalled it. I can start the engine, but when I turn the key (to any position other than start) to stop the engine, it keeps running. Worked fine before. The battery ground was redone.

I've been trying to research this, but no luck. Are the original ignition key switches unreliable??

Thanks for any help

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

YOu still running a L motor?

You running s stock EXTERNAL Voltage regulator?

If yes, put key to off and remove the Volt reg connector. If it shuts off its usaully the volt reg.

If you have soemthing other than that in there I have no clue.

Did you installed the keyswitch harness off 180deg?

Those switches are usally pretty relaible. I have never changed one and I owned 4 510 at one time, Longest car 20years.

YOu still running a L motor?

You running s stock EXTERNAL Voltage regulator?

If yes, put key to off and remove the Volt reg connector. If it shuts off its usaully the volt reg.

If you have soemthing other than that in there I have no clue.

Did you installed the keyswitch harness off 180deg?

Those switches are usally pretty relaible. I have never changed one and I owned 4 510 at one time, Longest car 20years.

I have a loop that was put in where the voltage regulator used to be and I might have plugged it in backwards. will that seriously screw anything up? the car does still start...

I might have plugged it in backwards

The Volt reg Connector part wont plug in backwards.If it has the loop(jumpers then it has a IR alternator in there. Maybe pull it out and have it cked but not a expert on those and symtoms of a bad reg on those as they are internal.

I cant remeber about the key ignition connector if it can be made to go in 180. But Just letting you know incase it possible.

Did you make sure to line up the plugs under the dash up right? There are a few that will fit in the incorrect spot. Is it a different dash harness? Does it die if you unplug the back of the ignition?

• 3 weeks later...

Norcal Dime

have you thought of trying a another Volt reg? Theyare cheap.

How about shut KEY OFF then pull the volt reg connector. Then youll know.

Wired up a kill switch??? If swapping fixes it ,then get rid of that wireing. Nothing looks worese than a 510 with hack wire all over the place.

Your 510 has alot of potnetial. I would dump the Mitshibishi you have myself!!!!!!!I think that what you had)

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
Norcal Dime

have you thought of trying a another Volt reg? Theyare cheap.

How about shut KEY OFF then pull the volt reg connector. Then youll know.

Wired up a kill switch??? If swapping fixes it ,then get rid of that wireing. Noing look sworse than a 510 with hack wire all over the place.

Your 510 has alot of potnetial. I would dump the Mitshibishi you have myself!!!!!!!

i think my wiring looks totally clean :o

2i7s4t5.jpg

what you dont see in the picture is there's a mess of yellow wire to the bottom left and some other stuff that I dont know exactly what it is :o

clean :o

i think my wiring looks totally clean :o

2i7s4t5.jpg

what you dont see in the picture is there's a mess of yellow wire to the bottom left and some other stuff that I dont know exactly what it is :o

clean :o

Dude you need to clean up those wires, the harness looked way better when I shipped it down there! :D

Dude you need to clean up those wires, the harness looked way better when I shipped it down there! :D

im gonna shorten the wiring harness so i can tuck it under the dash.

the wiring mess is from stuff like power for the electric fan, temperature gauge and extra stuff :)