4spd L series trans $20

will not ship.

If it doesn't sell(and I'm not expecting it to)...it will get the bellhousing cut off and turned into an eng stand adapter like the last two :) Then, that piece will get sold for $40.

100_3135.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chop it up and make the adapt. disasemble the shafts and use the gears to encircle a five dollar wallmart shop clock and sell both of them?:)

Just a thought from a OL' Shop Dog ;)

Love your work by the way!

Mike I assume thats a 521 trans not a 510 type output?

521....although I didn't know there was a difference between the 510 and 521 4spd trans.

Chop it up and make the adapt. disasemble the shafts and use the gears to encircle a five dollar wallmart shop clock and sell both of them?:)

Just a thought from a OL' Shop Dog ;)

Love your work by the way!

That's a lot of work. I've torn several of these apart...it's a pain. In fact, there's a torn up one on the side of the house right now. I like the idea....somebody else can come get the gears and do it :)

Thanks. There's guys out there doing much better work....they just don't take pics of it. :)

521 has a thraded nut to use.510 is just a yoke.

The 510 one is just a straight yoke.

Im NOT POSITIVE if a 521 fit on a yoke type drive line as thre treaded shafy will interfere with a 510 yoke. Might not go in all the way..

Most time people use the later transe that is just a yoke type and I assume it just slides back and forth during driving as the 521 output/split is Nutted Up then bolts to the driveling.

You know whay I mean Mike.

Otherwise I 99% of the trans is the same

This one just slips. I remember now what you're talking about. I know if you put a 521 driveline on the 510 trans, it will leak through the hole in the yoke. I'm guessing that the threaded part on the truck trans could be cut off. Not a prob on this one. This being a '68 with a J series originally.....it was set up for a one piece driveline....guess I could sell that too since I already have one or two others :)

Mike can you post a picture of the end showing the bolt hole? ... or it's threaded with nut??

If the flange output is removed and a spline drive shaft used, how does the oil get out? Isn't it a 'blind hole' for the bolt? Sorry to be a pain :o, all I have are bad pictures and schematics of the tail stock.

This one doesn't have that. This is like the 510s

The 521 yoke has a hole in it for the threaded end of the output shaft to go through. If you put it on a trans like this one that doesn't have it, fluid leaks past the splines and out that hole unless you plug it. ADrummond did a post in his thread of how he plugged it.

This one doesn't have that. This is like the 510s

The 521 yoke has a hole in it for the threaded end of the output shaft to go through. If you put it on a trans like this one that doesn't have it, fluid leaks past the splines and out that hole unless you plug it. ADrummond did a post in his thread of how he plugged it.

Here it is with the plug.

SANY0460.jpg

And here is the tranny without the flange but the bolt is on.

SANY0461.jpg

Thanks datto510, nice pictures. Tranny oil level is not high enough to reach the spline when level but it will wet it. Most trannys have an 'eaves trough' near the top of the tail stock to collect oil thrown off by rotating gears. Oil runs down hill to the rear to lube the speedo drive and the oil seal.

Wow....maybe a mod should move this to the drivetrain section since the first post was the only one related to anything dealing with "for sale".

Glad it helped with everyone's education....not that anyone is going to be looking in the "for sale" section for tranny info. :)

I think I'll make a point of cutting it up tomorrow. Of course, the only reason to cut the front off would be to .....once again....help out somebody else since I already have the eng stand adapter I need. I think all things considered, my time will be better spent simply scraping it. It takes about 2 hours to cut it, clean it and machine it. Nobody has said they want one.....so I guess I have no reason at all to even bother. .....hhhmmm......I think this will be quite the "cleansing" year for me!! :)

More people read your stuff than you think Mike. I didn't know about the speedo cog so somebody else might read and realize that for $20 they could get a replacement cog for their dogleg or a 610 owner could use it for a replacement tranny.

Wow....maybe a mod should move this to the drivetrain section since the first post was the only one related to anything dealing with "for sale".

Glad it helped with everyone's education....not that anyone is going to be looking in the "for sale" section for tranny info. :)

So... you were being fecicious then? ...... :lol: (over my head) :D

So I didn't get around to cutting it. Probably won't for a bit since the rain is coming back and I go back to work.

If somebody wants it, they can have it....but they have to come get it and if it's still here when the scrap hauler comes(whenever that is) it's going with him.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.