got a car not a dime

Not a dime but Japanese and the price was right $150 I'll post pics soon didn't have my camera with me when I bought it. it is a 1979 Corolla sedan 1200cc with 4-speed I will be prepping it for autocross. just going to kill the rust and bomb it with hammerite. Anyone here know anything about these cars? I am a dimer not a corolla guy. I have some parts available and will fab up some others. I have a 1" front bar not from this but it will work and I may have springs for the front as well. The rear will get drop blocks and gas shocks not too fancy but I plan to modify the stock front bar for duty on the rear.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought all Corollas used the 2T-C or 3T-C by then. Must still have the K series engine.

I wish it had a 2t or 3t but the lill 3k will do till I get the suspension sorted then it will get an L-16 Datsun. That I can get for nearly free and it will be built a little say 100hp or so, basically port cleanup and a slight shave on the head L20 cam/lifters, weber and stock exhaust mani with 2" pipe. I figure the 3k-c might las 1 season before exploding.

here it is in all it's overgrown glory.

DSCN0461.jpg

shockingly all 4 tires had air in them. The frame rails looked good from what I could see so I think it's worth saving

here is the 1200cc powerhouse

DSCN0462.jpg

I managed to get it running today but it needs a new carburetor

Edited by philip1

I got it to move under it's own power today but the carb is done for. I have a Weber on the way. I'm getting more and more excited about this project.

I have a name for the project too..... "$500 Racing" because the allotted budget is just $500

• 2 months later...

bit of an update

Pulled it out of the weeds and started shaving weight

untitled31.jpg

I got it to run long enough to move it to firmer footing (note the airdamin a previous life it was a rear spoiler for a hyundai)

IMG_0005.jpg

Then set about killing the rust (so it would not get worse)

IMG_0007.jpg

Picked up some sticky meats for it (HEHEHEHE)

IMG_0017.jpg

A friend loaned me the wheels in this shot but OH boy can you say motivation

DSC_1682.jpg

I started on the suspension chopped 1.5 coils out of the front and changed the shock oil to 50w

IMG_0019.jpg

I'll be working on the rear later this weekend so expect another update soon.

BTW i did pop out the huge dent in the RH fender

Edited by philip1

It's a peanut! Check out classic-celica and 1stgencelica, peanuts get lumped into the Celica category. You may want to consider selling it instead of making it a track car, in all honesty.

Here's an example of the lengths people will go with these (ver is one of my buddies from when I had my RA29, btw):

http://1stgencelica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=959

Edited by drummingpariah
grammar