shifter

tnip

so i know the real answer for my question is "get a 5spd" but i'm curious if anybody has shimmed their shifter on a 4spd to get it to feel less... mushy and free. if nobody's done a write up then when i get around to doing that, today or tomorrow, in my 521 i'll get some pictures for anybody interested.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably have this:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/CopyofA1.jpg[/img]"]CopyofA1.jpg

the F4W36L type A, the infamous 'monkey motion' shifter. It has a two part rubber mount for the shifter. ANY thing that would stiffen it up would be good. Maybe take them out and make a set out of nylon or urethane on a lathe.

An L 5spd, FS5W71B, had the type B shifter with nylon bushings that can be replaced and is a better overall set up:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/CopyofBtype.jpg[/img]"]CopyofBtype.jpg

The 521 4spd may be shorter than the 5spd so measure them. If it is shorter you might be able to use the shorter two piece drive shaft that comes with the later model truck 5spd. The 5spd was an option on the 620 trucks starting in '77 through '79. The '80 720 will fit as well but not the 4X4 as it has no speedo drive in it.

well i was actually referring to the two points of connection below the shifter arm. idk exactly how to describe what i mean. i've looked at it quite a few times and have decided that with some properly sized washers i can get it to feel much tighter. my dad had a 620 like 15 years ago that he did the same thing in and said it was very simple and made a big difference in the feel of the shifts. i just hate that when it's in gear you can still move it around like it's in neutral. also i need something simple to work on to distract me from my brake issues... i need simple lil things to keep me motivated.

well the fact of the matter is that there are probably some real hardware stores left around here. i mean like a "mom and pop" type hardware store. and for that matter i recently found out there's an automotive parts store like 5 miles down the road instead of the 10 i been drivin to autozone... whoops.. haha.

anyway i didn't get around to lookin at it today, i'll have to look at it tomorrow.