610 pedals ???

Ive got a pretty solid line on a 73 610 sedan (Im supposed to get it in a week or two...) it aint pretty but its mostly complete and cancer free.

Problem is that its an automatic and Ive got a LZ22 and a 5 speed sitting in the shed... How hard is it going to be to find pedals for it? This may be the deciding factor on if I buy it or not.

Do they take a whole different pedal assembly for a manual (gas clutch and brake) or could I get away with modding a 620 pedal assembly easily or is there another option?

Also what would a good running low mileage (80k... ish) L18 and auto complete with carb and all accessories/linkage/shifter, minus oilpan and exhaust manifold be worth to somebody (You can have your pick of a 720 2WD or 620 pan...)

Also would 16" staggered factory starion wheels fit on this without rubbing?

Any help would be great... Thanks

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 610 brake and clutch pedals and mounting assy. from '73-'77 (sedan, H/T and wagon) are all the same part number... the good news is that the '74-'77 710 (sedan and wagon) are also the same part number.

Just Ask bonvo if Shelly signed her organ doner card. Maybe a transplant is in order.http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=3474&page=20 It's like a form of imortality.

Edited by datzenmike

Do I recall reading somewhere the '70s 510 pedals interchange directly with the 610? I know they are similar, since I've yanked pedals out of both models. I have a set of 610 pedals I can measure and compare with the ones in my 510. Don't really want to sell them. I know as soon as I do, I will find the 610 2-dr of my dreams (with an auto). Not to say a set of 510 pedals will be easy to find, but probably easier than 610 ones.

Len

Guest jaimesix

The 610 pedal assembly is simple, at least simpler than the B210. I had my B210 automatic replaced, and I had to get the pedal and pedal assembly all together.

For the 610, the 610 has the bracket already on the car. All you got to do is take the automatic pedal off, and mount the clutch pedal in.

I may have an extra 610 pedal, let me check my parts this weekend, meanwhile, get that 610, the pedal is no biggy at all. Like I said, that pedal can be gotten from any parts car, if push comes to shove, there are plenty of clutch pedals in Australia. I am sure there are plenty here as well.

My 610 was automatic, I just recently installed a 5 speed. I know for a fact what I am saying, you have to dismount the automatic pedal, and the clutch pedal bolts on. The gas pedal is the same.

BTW, my buddy has several 510s in his shop, I will verify/compare the 610 clutch pedal to the 510s to make sure you could use a 510, which is very common.

Jaime.______________________________________________________

The bolt that holds either the clutch or brake pedal (can't remember which) has backwards threads - must be turned clockwise to loosen. I've heard of guys twisting this bolt off not knowing this. Does that sound correct Jamie?

My '72 510 (auto car) had a hole in the firewall for the clutch master cylinder with a plate over it. Probably the same for a 610. So the cylinder is easy to mount. Master cylinder from many Datsun models will probably work here. You need the clutch hard line that goes from the master cylinder down to the slave cylinder. You could probably have one made if a donor car doesn't have one.

Len

Like jaimesix said, the 610 has the pedal assembly already in place. I removed the pedals from my parts car for his 5 speed swap. I don't recall the pedal bolts being backwards thread. The 710 pedals work in a 610 as well (ask sliding_creep). Theres a 710 in the boneyard down here, maybe it has the pedals??

Guest jaimesix
The bolt that holds either the clutch or brake pedal (can't remember which) has backwards threads - must be turned clockwise to loosen. I've heard of guys twisting this bolt off not knowing this. Does that sound correct Jamie?

My '72 510 (auto car) had a hole in the firewall for the clutch master cylinder with a plate over it. Probably the same for a 610. So the cylinder is easy to mount. Master cylinder from many Datsun models will probably work here. You need the clutch hard line that goes from the master cylinder down to the slave cylinder. You could probably have one made if a donor car doesn't have one.

Len

Len, I do not recall any reversed threads on my assembly. I may find a parts car ( 710 ) this weekend, I will let you know, I may get the pedal if I find a manual tranny car. I have both cars, but I do not remember ever comparing both pedals. Probably both are the same, it is the same steering system, engine , master cylinder and all. I will double check.

Like jaimesix said, the 610 has the pedal assembly already in place. I removed the pedals from my parts car for his 5 speed swap. I don't recall the pedal bolts being backwards thread. The 710 pedals work in a 610 as well (ask sliding_creep). Theres a 710 in the boneyard down here, maybe it has the pedals??

You are right Zerow, I do not remember reverse threads. About 710 and 610 pedals being same, that is a strong posibility, I will check it out. If Sliding Creep has done it, that would be good conformation.

my pedals are claimed for the new car get the 610 pedals swap relativly easy get that car its the 73 get it now!!!

Right on, a missing or needed pedal is no reason why to set aside such a good opportunity to purchase a coll 73 Datsun 610.

Jaime._______________________________________________________

I'm sticking to my story on the backward thread for one of the bolts. I checked the clutch and brake pedal bolts on my '72 510. The brake pedal bolt on my car has backward thread - I just loosened it. Reaching up from below with a ratchet and 17mm socket, I pulled toward the rear of the car to loosen it. Since the bolt head faces the trans. tunnel, that is actually turning it clockwise to loosen. I also found the bolts to my 610 pedal set, and they appear to have different threads. One bolt I can thread a nut onto easily - the other not at all. But please, someone check and see if what I'm saying works on your cars. I may be hallucinating. I know I hear voices all the time in my head (mostly saying "Buy another Datsun.")

Comparing the 510 pedals with 610 pedals, the brake pedals look pretty much the same. The clutch pedal from the 610 has more offset toward the center of the car - maybe about 1 1/2" more. 610 pedals in a 510 might work, but the pedal pads would almost touch each other, I think. 510 pedals in a 610 would probably work, but the clutch pedal would be 1 1/2" or so closer to the kick panel, so there would be less room for your left foot. Maybe a 610 is a little wider across the floor than a 510, and you wouldn't miss the room.

Len

You guys rock!!!!:D Im going to get it regardless but Id prefer to have it driving sooner than later. It doesnt sound like it will be too bad of an issue at all.

If 510 pedals mount up but are spaced farther apart that wouldnt bother me that much and might actually be preferable... just so long as they all would be spaced evenly apart. Ive got size 13 feet and they arent really datsun friendly. Ive got nerve damage in my right leg and most of my gas/clutch foot feels half asleep all the time. Just so long as I have room to rest my left foot Im not too worried about spacing so long as the pedals arent too close together.

In order to get it home I need a set of wheels... I answered my own question on the starion rims... 5 lug:rolleyes:... If they fit they would look badass though. Ive got six lug crap coming out my ears... 5 sets... but nothing 4 lug. Is there a list somewhere of all the cars that share a similar bolt pattern and offset as the 610/710/510.

Mike - Here a one wheel list to give you some ideas:

http://kmhafer.datsun510.com/wheelchart.htm

Probably easiest to find to be 14"s off 240/60/80Z cars. You might have to get just plain steelies to get the car home. You can use them later for snow rims if you end up driving the car in winter. 13" tires are hard to find, so 14" steelies would be much better, if you can find them. I don't know if Zs used a space saver spare or a full size steel wheel.Pull n Save would be the likely source for those, or maybe Craigslist under auto parts. I don't know if the used tire/wheel stores in Spokane would have sets of 280Z aluminums. I know of a set of '81 200SX turbine wheels a guy has, but I think they are ugly myself. Another guy has a set of slotted aluminum off a Z, if you like old, old school. But I think you can find something better in Spokane if you look around. Remember some aluminum wheels need special lug nuts.

Len

I wish I didnt know about the special lugnuts for older rims... Ive got an old set of slots for the 620 and they want as much for the lugs and washers as I paid for the damn rims... Would you happen to know if the lug nuts are the same style for the 300zx 5 lug rims or the maximas as they were for the earlier 280 style rims? I scoured Pull and Save yesterday, they had a 200SX... ugly rims. Im on a pretty strict budget but Id rather spend a couple hundred on some rims that I like than spend a little less on something that I dont like and will end up replacing as soon as possible...

I dont plan on driving the car in the snow/winter Ive got a Tacoma, I dont care if anyone hits that just so long as they total it :lol:

Guest jaimesix

Hi.

I went by the junk yard today. I found a 710, automatic!, so there was no pedal to take. I could see the bracket/perch were a clutch pedal would bolt on.

Next week when I get to my car I will take a pix of a 610 clutch pedal next to a 510's for comparison.

About wheels, if you want 280 ZX wheels, I like the cross pattern ones. It is a cool design, and it can be painted or left silver, looks very cool. Not sure if it is the 280ZX or the 280Z, but it is a nice looking alloy.

Get some pictures when ever posible.

Jaime._______________________________________________________

Mike - Lug nuts for aluminum wheels is all a big mystery to me, although I understand special nuts are usually needed. I hit P&S Spokane today and saw the wheels on the '86 200SX you mentioned. Yeah, I was happy to leave them there. I wonder if the lug nuts from that SX work for other Nissan alum wheels? The nuts might be something to grab, if someone can confirm they will work. This is the one Z wheel I like: http://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/1077859998.html I've seen partial sets of these at P&S more than once. If I'd bought them when I saw them, I'd have a set now. What is it P&S Spokane gets for wheels - $12.50 or so? Cheap way to go, if you have time to wait to assemble a set. I have no idea what the used wheel stores charge for this style Z wheel. Maybe not much $$ since most guys want ricer style wheels. Liberty Tire on E. Sprague across from Axel's Pawn is one place you might check.

Len

• 4 weeks later...

Still looking for a clutch pedal... and the front window is cracked all the way across the front. Its been cracked for a while too its all fogged and bubbled... No way in hell is it legal. The replacement window that comes with it is in the back seat and has a steering column sitting in the middle of it... Its now broken in the opposite direction:mad: The roof is also wavy as hell and the hood is the same. Looks like someone sat on it. As far as the interior goes the best thing there is the shifter for the automatic...

I picked up an old set of enkei mesh wheels to go pick it up and looked it over a bit more... its a bigger project than I need at this time and it isnt going anywhere anytime soon and it will make a hell of a parts car for a coupe if I ever find one. Im also back in school and Im about pulling my hair out with all the damn homework... Maybe this summer... Itll give me more time to look for a coupe in the NW anyways. If I were to buy it right now Id only want the front clip and the rear bumper... Its not perfect but its not all rotted out and the grill is in good shape.

If you or anyone else happens to stumble on a set of pedals let me know though... or a windshield??? It would definitely be a bit more motivation to go pick this thing up.

I don't know how you feel about wagons, but I saw a 610 (maybe 710) wagon for sale in Post Falls a week ago. Looked pretty straight. New paint, of sorts (overspray on the tires usually isn't the sign of the best of jobs), but an eye catching green color, if you can live with that. No phone number on the sign. It is sitting at a trailer park on the N side of the freeway in Post Falls. I think right at an exit. I suspect they don't have a phone, and maybe no computer to post it on CL. I should have knocked on the door to ask "How much?", but I was afraid I might buy it myself. I don't need more to work on, really I don't. Although I thought several times over the weekend about driving back over there for another look.

Len