5 speed for brit car

JAYRZ

First post for me on thse forums guys. Used to own z cars, had three of them over the years.

280z 5 speeds are a popular conversion for the 69 and newer MGB. A company called Rivergate conversions makes an all inclusive kit. On the 69 and up car the shifter comes out in the right place.

On the earlier cars that had the narrower tunnel and the POS 3 synchro gearbox the shifter is about four inches too far back with the 280z 5 speed.

My question for you fine Datsun knowlegible gentleman is this, Is there another datsun 5 speed that will bolt to the rivergate conversion plate (set up for z car trans) and be the needed 4 inches shorter at the shifter. Would the dogleg 5 speed from a 200sx be the answer?

I really don't want to modify the tunnel or cut anything on my 64 MGB if it can be helped.

Thanks in advance

Jay "RZ"

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say, yes, you need a dogleg from a '77-'79 200SX or the late '70s 510 with L20 engine. It uses the same bolt pattern on the bell housing as the Z cars. The dogleg 5-speed is approx. 26 1/2" long, while the long-tail 5-speeds in Zs and trucks are 31" long. I can't say for sure the difference in shifter location, but suspect if other early MG people are using a Datsun 5-speed, that's what they use.

But I also have a vague memory of MGs using the dogleg from Datsun 210s or 310s that use an A-series engine, rather than the L-series of the 200SX and 510. The two series use different bell housings, so you need to be sure which series engine the conversion kit is for. The company that makes the conversion may be able to clarify this. Maybe they make two different kits. Also, the dogleg from an A-series engine car may be smaller around the bell housing and only that one will fit your early B.

Len

Possible MGA tranny in back with F4W63 in front

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/transdatsununknownMGAbehind.jpg[/img]"]transdatsununknownMGAbehind.jpg

FS5W60A from an '81 210

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/transFS5W60A81210.jpg[/img]"]transFS5W60A81210.jpg

Geees I actually had pictures of them. (no surprise)

Edited by datzenmike

Yeah the same company makes a 5 speed conversion for the Midget and sprite and does indeed use the 60 series 5 speed to mate it to a MG 1275cc "BMC A"series engine.

I have one of those too and the 61 Midget with a 210 trans was great except the motor sucked ass so I pulled it and it now has a 20valve Silvertop 4AGE in it.

The other kit is for the MGB 1800cc "B" series engine and they do make a conversion kit that uses a 280z/zx 5 speed.

Thanks for the replies folks, i am going to start looking for a dogleg 5 speed out of a 200sx so I can still use their kit. Of course the DS is going to have to be lengthened too right?

Jay

I'm curious why Rivergate doesn't sell a kit to use the dogleg in pre-'69 cars. You mention a narrower tunnel on those cars. I wonder if there could be a clearance problem with the dogleg? The dogleg isn't supposed to be a strong as the 280Z trans, and not as easy to find, so maybe that is why Rivergate doesn't sell a conversion for earlier Bs. I think I would call Rivergate and ask about the dogleg. I have a feeling there is some issue other than trans length involved. But I hope I'm wrong and it will work for you.

Len

The 60 series is used on MG Midgets and Austin Healey sprites to convert to 5 speeds.

The 280Z and ZX gearbox is used for the 1800cc "B" series engines to convert an MGB to 5 speeds.

So I am now looking for a dogleg 5 speed if any of you folks has a line on one please PM me.

Jay

• 4 weeks later...

i read the entire post and i'm still confused as to what tranny you need. for your info or any body else, i have a dogleg 63 series 5 speed tranny for A sereis engine, if anyone is interested.