1971 Datsun African Safari Rally paint code

HRH

Yeah, so I've decided the rally car should be a blast from the past, and thus should be painted rally red. Anyone happen to know the paint code for the 1971 510 rally car?

I just got off the phone with Jaremko, but he doesn't have access to those old paint codes, his book only goes back to '90. As far as I know, that red was only on rally cars, no production cars got that. Anyway, I'm going to do some digging, but in the meantime, any info would be appreciated. Here's the car:

africansafarirally510.jpg

Edited by HRH
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There was a thread here with a link to a Japanese guy building a 432z model on youtube that was very detailed. He got access to the original SA rally car for reference on colors and finish and such.

Probably not the best way to find out the color but... if you dont have any other options what are you going to do???

Are you going to run some of those sweet mudflaps on the rear?

There was a thread here with a link to a Japanese guy building a 432z model on youtube that was very detailed. He got access to the original SA rally car for reference on colors and finish and such.

Probably not the best way to find out the color but... if you dont have any other options what are you going to do???

Are you going to run some of those sweet mudflaps on the rear?

Actually, I've been saving some original Datsun truck mudflaps for the rear. I think they're going to go on. Of course, that's way down the road. Paint should be, but I almost want to get her painted to give me more motivation to hurrying the heck up and getting her rally ready. I told my Datsun guru/machinist my goal is to have her ready to race before I'm 30, which is rapidly approaching. A few weeks from 29.

Well my Datsun guru said to call a guy in Canada, and he didn't know so he told me to call a guy in Vista, CA, so I called him and his factory rally car was white. Short of it is, there isn't any real way to know since all the rally cars were from Japan. However, he said probably just a regular Datsun red would do since he didn't think they would have made a special paint for it, etc.

So the best bet I have is printing out the above photograph and bring it in to have our NAPA paint guys match it as best they can, and that should be pretty good I guess.

Dude, you're awesome! Thanks for that link. Apparently there were 3 reds offered in 1971 for Datsun. Mexican Red, Spanish Red, and regular Red. Mexican red is dark red, Spanish red is bright red. I'm thinking dark red as one it's less cop-attractive, and two is seems to be that color based on the above picture.

• 4 weeks later...

I dug for a while to find this - I knew I had it, just took a while.

Hope this chart can also help. Not sure how it'll look on the site, but the two reds on this chart (110 and 905) look pretty much the same, but the 932 is darker, and may be the colour of that original African Safari rally 510.

Byron

Datsun Colour Chart0002 (Large)_thumb.jpg

Datsun Colour Chart0003 (Large)_thumb.jpg