Project "Izzo"

izzo

looks like the head gasket is about to pop on it

first there was just some fresh oil (not much) on the front of the block. I never had to add oil tho

Took a look under there today and it looks like its leaking from the front of the block to half way back. Still dont have to add oil. so its slight

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like an '83 or older.

good eye mike

The head gasket is going on my 1980 with the L

The white truck above is my 4x4, its an 85. I think the head gasket is going in that one also. sometimes it gets a little bit above half way on the temp gauge.

ill put in a new water pump and thermostat first tho. Flush out the radiator too see if that helps some.

have a 1980 2wd, 85 4x4. In about a week-week and a half i should have a 1980 4x4.

The 1980 2wd is going to be used for parts for the 4x4. Decided not to sell the 80 since it has many usable good parts. Got a smoking deal on the 80 4x4 i couldn't pass up. Its just missing the motor. That of course is if everything falls into place. First the owner must take the L20 outta the 4x4. Then deliver it.

I don't have any use for 3 vehicles. I like my little 720 but it would be a lot nicer if it was 4x4. Tired of hitting pot holes and having the a-arm bottom out, frame dragging etc. The 4x4 would be more suitable for what i want to do. Camping in the woods, fishing, driving on the beach and towing small things. Winters here aren't that great either. Seaside doesn't normally see snow, but the surrounding areas to get here do. Both passes get snowed in pretty bad and my little 2wd doesn't handle so good :lol: Those passes are about the only way in here. I know the backroads pretty well to get anywhere i need to go but even out there its pretty nasty.

Edited by h2theizzo

Just ordered a full gasket it and timing chain kit for the l20

154.48. should be here in 2 days.

I'd like to replace the rings and bearings but haven't dont it before and dont have the ring tools. Might just get the rings and see if my buddy who has a shop can put them on. wich leaves the rod bearings, probly should replace those as well since its going to be apart

engine has less that 100k. main bearings i think would be ok?

Main bearings can be changed without removing the crank. Rod bearings are out to remove pistons to get at the rings anyway. If the cylinders aren't worn too far, just a good hone and install new rings on old pistons and slip back in. If you have the gasket kit you probably have the valve seals so slip them on too while the head is off. The work isn't rocket science but the pistons must go back in the same bores and face the front. Rings must be installed with the gaps in a certain position, in relation to the others. All valve train parts must go back in their old positions too.

Main bearings can be changed without removing the crank. Rod bearings are out to remove pistons to get at the rings anyway. If the cylinders aren't worn too far, just a good hone and install new rings on old pistons and slip back in. If you have the gasket kit you probably have the valve seals so slip them on too while the head is off. The work isn't rocket science but the pistons must go back in the same bores and face the front. Rings must be installed with the gaps in a certain position, in relation to the others. All valve train parts must go back in their old positions too.

I see.

I have never messed with a head before, besides installing it. I do have a book, but not sure if i want to start messing with it yet.

For the pistons, i do remember reading that everything must go back the way it was. i figured i would just clean the piston well, mark with a marker on the top of the piston an arrow pointing to the front and that should be good enough. Also was planning on doing 1 at a time.

Can't remember how to install the piston rings tho, cant seem to find my book either after the other half "cleaned" :

Edited by h2theizzo
ring compressor is less than $10 at harbor freight. You can borrow mine if you want. I should be stuffing my pistons in the block this weekend and then you could use it.

lol

I appreciate your offer bro! If i make it down that way ill stop by and visit, and just buy some :lol:

However, i am doing that rebuild soon. Parts washer may be useful. cough cough :D

• 3 months later...

adjusted the choke the other day, does what its supposed to. Had this truck over a year now and finally got a muffler installed, can't believe how much better it is.

Nobody wanted to pay more then peanuts for my 4x4, hopefully in a month or two ill have the engine built to drop in it and use it for a while after it gets scrubbed down real good. Picking up a mig welder here in about a week so i can put new floor pans in this thing, plus fix the bed. Might patch up the little holes in the back of the bed also, looks like the PO cut them out for something or other. might pick up a paint gun too and throw some nice paint on it.

• 2 weeks later...

brakes were squeaking in the front, rears were still making a horrible wobble. Went to napa auto and picked up some new pads for the front and shoes for the rear, installed them today, Brakes are pretty tight. Wobble still exists in the back, only thing left to replace is the hubs themselves on the rear or the entire axle. anyone got a rear set of hubs that are good, not warped?

Rear hubs?? You have the axle shafts and the brake drums. Which do you need? I have some extra 78/79 620 drums, just machined them today in fact. They are well within service limits still too.

Bah i meant brake drums... pm me a price if you are willing to let them go.

• 4 weeks later...

once again thank you freaky510. dood is a blast to hang around, knows his shit and gets things done!

Got the motor n trans installed yesterday, only things left to do today was gear oil for the trans, throttle linkage, speedo cable, battery and put the hood back on.

Was a nightmare getting the trans fill plug out, christ... someone over torqued it into place. Brand new clutch installed, the old one is in really good shape & lots of life left. Itll be saved/sold. New fluids in the tranny, fresh oil change, oil filter. Only thing i noticed is a little rattle here n there, and i have to get an exhaust donut. Its leaky and i only have one bolt holding the down pipe to the exhaust manifold lol...

When i was driving to Freaky510's house, my 2wd just rolled over to 100k miles. The little beast is home, thank god. Now i can stop using the in laws crown vic...

IMAG0284.jpg

motor back out of the yellow truck, dogleg re-attached

IMAG0308.jpg

bastard child yellow 1980 4x4. someone please buy the thing its got GOOD parts on it

IMAG0309.jpg

whats this??? Freaky powered 720 lol

IMAG0310.jpg

oh i know right. Tomorrow is going to be rockin man, cant wait to get back to your house :D gimmy a hollar when you get off work and let me know what the plan is lol

Cool i will call you after i call him and we can meet back here :hyper: :sweat: :baby: :crying:

window went up and down kinda fucked up, tried fixing the track and it worked better but still was off. sometimes when i rolled up the window the window would go towards the outside. Hinges were gone, open the door and it would drop down an inch.

got two doors from LCDC, pull the passenger hinges off, put them on the driver door. Swapped off the interior panel, mirror, and installed it.

IMAG0329.jpg

IMAG0330.jpg

IMAG0331.jpg

IMAG0332.jpg