5 speed

jrbd10

What are the advantages of "Dogleg 5 speed" from a 200sx and a 280zx 5 speed if any? I know you do have to do more fab work on the 280zx but, i'm willing to sacrifice that if its somehow better for my L18 engine. any answers? what about clutch things later on? I would think 280zx parts are more readily available than a 200sx. Please enlighten me.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in a 510 the shorter dog-leg 5 speed will drop right in place of your 4 speed. They are harder to find but a direct swap. the ZX trans is easy to find but you need a custom mount and a shorter driveshaft because these are a longer transmission.

you have a 710 they take long tail transmissions a z car 5 speed should bolt right in as long as its not the t-5 if you get the dog leg it will be to short and you will have to make the driveline longer

First of all, it has a dogleg pattern. So your 2-3 shift is faster than a regular pattern shift.

this is correct i had the dogleg 5 in my 610 and the 2-3 shift as well as the 4-5 shift are faster i have the dogleg trans thats why informing you of what the 610/710 has if you want bolt in go with the z car trans i personally like the dogleg the pattern takes a while to get used to but the trans was designed to be put behind a 4 cyl car so the gearing is great

if i had to do it all over again i would probibly have gone with the z car trans simply because it would have been easier and i could have saved $50 instead of having a new driveline made

this is correct i had the dogleg 5 in my 610 and the 2-3 shift as well as the 4-5 shift are faster

if i had to do it all over again i would probibly have gone with the z car trans

many say the ZX tranny is stronger. i havent broken any doglegs personally :D but im trying :w00t:

the 2-3 shifts are where i drive often so i really like that!

im going w/the ZX this time in the wagon. (then i have a spare for the sedan ;) )

The only advantage, same length as a stock 510/521, doesn't apply to your 710. If you want a 5spd get an FS5W71B.

The '77-'79 200sx dog leg had exactly the same gear ratios as the 510 sedan but with a 5th over drive. Here are two choices that are almost a perfect match ratio wise to the dog leg.

Dog Leg

1st... 3.382

2nd.. 2.013

3rd... 1.312

4th... 1.000

5th... 0.854

'77-'78 620 and the '77-'79 280z and the 810 Maxima

1st... 3.321

2nd... 2.077

3rd... 1.308

4th... 1.000

5th... 0.864

The '80-'83 280zx has a closer ratio set with a higher 1st gear so takeoff acceleration is slower than with the above trannys. The 5th overdrive is way too tall for an L20B to pull. This could be overcome by swapping a 4:11 rear end in.

One last option is the '79 620 and '80 2wd 720 5spd. These have a much lower first gear than the trannys listed above and so will accelerate faster from a take off. This would be best for a turbo car that needs to quickly rev to get into the 'boost range".

As for strength the FS5W71B is much stronger than the FS5W63 with larger stronger gears and bigger bearings. If your dogleg has survived all your punishment, imaging how much an FS5W71B will take.

Edited by datzenmike

The FS5W71B was used for about 10 years starting in '77 The FS5W71B with an L series bolt pattern for the L20B can be found on post '77 620, 280z/zx and 810 Maximas. With a bell housing change was adapted for use on the Z motors in the 720, the S110 200sx and the CA powered S12 till '86.5.