Adjusting The SU's

Docsis510

well pm me an offer. its a 220 manifold with linkage heat shield carbs spacers and round filters. its a bolton setup just need to know how to tune them. not the polished 220 manifold but the regularone and not the new spacers but theold ones they still work though.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the timing correct? I thought my carbs were out of sync and got really frustrated trying to get them dialed in. I got them close with the uni-syn and the plugs looked alright but it was popping and stumbling on acceleration. It ended up that the timing was just a little off and now it runs great. Something simple to check after you get it warmed up. Good luck.

Chad

Sorry to hear you are having such a bitch of a time with them SUs. I can feel your vibs way over here. It sounds like you are lean. Does it run ok with the choke pulled part way out? If yes turn you mix knobs out a couple turns and try again. I wish that I were there to help out. Is it smoking black that would rich but the back fire thing says lean to me. Don't give up you will get it. If you need to PM me with the number to reach you and a good time to call (your time) .... How far out do you have your knobs ?

Want to help you with this :)

yeah it sucks. i bought new spacers an a new polished manifold so they would at least look ok. so i spoke with [datsun 160j ss] and he walked me through a couple steps. the gas mix right now is at two full turns. right now it idles ok but when i hit the gas pedal they just choke out. couple things that are bothering me. i have a big exhaust manifold leak and also when i read cwhip's reply i took the destributor cap off one of the points was smoked like if it cought on fire. you guys think this could affect the carbs?? trust me i wish you were here warf rat too.

dont forget both carbs need to be ajusted at the idle screw when you use your balance synchro tool so if the back carb idle screw is in you need to do the same for the front screw .you will need to loosen the linkage screw to make the slides move at the same time .pull up on the inside slides when you have the motor runing if the motor dies you need to turn the bottom dile down 1/4 turn increments :)untill it runs but not dies do the same for both carbs

Change that dist cap anyhow it needs it and maybe cross firing inside the cap then crank them knobs out another turn, it may be to lean and bogs out you can run back in after we need to get you in the ball park so you can drive it and sync them. If it runs way worse then we went the wrong way start over and run them out a turn and half. We will get this beat for ya man :)

so i went to autozone and bought some spark plugs and cables. after installing everything i gave it another try. Guess what? sounds like they are tunned. i drove it around the block. they are not perfect but sound good. i cant explain how happy i feel right now. thanks to all of you i was able to tune this carbs. mike thanks for helping me in through the phone. the old spark plugs i pulled out were all black. sorry (dgi) thiscarbs are no longer for sale. we got this thing beat guys lol. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: