Question Does anybody have a pic of there rear end

72 327

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the bolts SAE or metric. If it's a 9 inch you can't slip a socket and wrench over the bottom two bolts, only an 8 inch.

just looking at the pics I posted before you can see you could slip a wrench over the bottom 2.

I just wanted to tell everybody thanks for the pics up to this point. I know its a pain in the "rear end" to go take pics under the truck.

Well your pics tell me its not a Datsun rear end at least not 73. The welds on Datsuns come all the way up to the pumpkin. This one they Y. Also the front member is shorter on mine than all of the Datsuns I have seen thus far. Another thing is the rear indent is deeper than Datsuns to. Oh bother It looks like I may have to take the damn thing apart to figure it out. I may just wait to go down to a old car shop here and see if they can help me on it.

ry%3D400

It has 2 tabs seen in red line like a Datsun but the shorter nose and the 3rd member bulge is whats strange. Also it is flat all the way around the outside of the diff where the bolts go. Datsuns so far have the tabs coming out the edge.

Doesnt look like Toyota. Just found a total write up on all 4x4 rear diffs. Basiclly 3 different ones through out the years.

3rds.jpg

quote from this write up. "All pre-'95 4-cylinder 4wd mini-trucks & 4Runners use the Toyota 8" 2-pinion differential front and rear (except turbo models). This is known as the "4cyl diff." This diff is by far the most common diff in older Toyotas"

Edited by 72 327
might be a mazda rearend? my dad had an 81 courier and he put an early mazda truck rearend under it. he said the early ones were stronger. maybe theyre strong enough for a v8?

Sounds like most of the Mazda's use a ford rear end 8.8" or a rear covered rear end that is a 5 or 6 lug patteren.

I dont know at this point. I think Im just going to take to this shop when its done. Maybe I can jack it up and look for some numbers. I was wanting to take it to the track and make a couple of passes but I dont want to if I have a non-posi and if I granade this rear end I dont want to put the truck into the wall. Will see....and the search continues.....