Anyone used a S13 KA trans on a L20B?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The tranny would sit with shifter leaning toward the driver if bolted to an L series motor. To have it sit right you could swap an L front case onto the KAs FS5W71C tranny but expect to do some mods to it. The counter shaft bearing would have to be pulled off the KA tranny and a 58mm bearing pressed on. Also the 1st/2nd shift rod hole in the L case will need to be drilled out to 5/8" in order to fit. Also the KA tranny is from 2" to 4-5" longer depending if from a Hardbody or 240sx.

I'm fairly sure the KA runs a 240mm flywheel. Djlotus told me once if the KA flywheel fits the L series but I forget... doesn't matter to much because the Z24s all had 240mm flywheels so just use one of them if you want to run a KA clutch.

But, yeah an FS5W71C from a KA behind an L20B would rock.

The tranny would sit with shifter leaning toward the driver if bolted to an L series motor. To have it sit right you could swap an L front case onto the KAs FS5W71C tranny but expect to do some mods to it. The counter shaft bearing would have to be pulled off the KA tranny and a 58mm bearing pressed on. Also the 1st/2nd shift rod hole in the L case will need to be drilled out to 5/8" in order to fit. Also the KA tranny is from 2" to 4-5" longer depending if from a Hardbody or 240sx.

I'm fairly sure the KA runs a 240mm flywheel. Djlotus told me once if the KA flywheel fits the L series but I forget... doesn't matter to much because the Z24s all had 240mm flywheels so just use one of them if you want to run a KA clutch.

But, yeah an FS5W71C from a KA behind an L20B would rock.

Geeze Mike. Where do you get all of this information from? Do you have a transmission flow chart or just a really big brain full of shift rods, counter shaft bearings and gears?:lol:

I've been curious if a S13 5spd will fit a frontier KA24de. Anyone know where to get info for that?

It is the same bell housing/bolt pattern, I have seen it 1st hand.

There are differences in the ka24des besides though. Like internals, cams, variable intakes etc.... There are a good 4(5 with fwd included) variations of the ka24de.

Edited by 72240z

I'm confused though, if the KA 5 speed bolts up the the L20b then why are all the z guys using adapters? The shifter difference? Because I'll bend that shit so fast......

Guest DatsuNoob
It is the same bell housing/bolt pattern, I have seen it 1st hand.

There are differences in the ka24des besides though. Like internals, cams, variable intakes etc.... There are a good 4(5 with fwd included) variations of the ka24de.

The reason I ask is because the aft portion of the S13 block that mates up to the bell is cast in such a way that it matches perfectly, the frontier KA isn't cast the same. I suppose the inspection plate will cover the open space between, but I think the lower support brackets and the other brackets that hold the trans to the motor will need to be modified because those bolt holes on the block arent the same either. I sure would like to find a pic of this so I can see if the idea I have planned in my head will work out or not. Sorry, didnt mean to hi-jack the thread.

I'm confused though, if the KA 5 speed bolts up the the L20b then why are all the z guys using adapters? The shifter difference? Because I'll bend that shit so fast......

The L, Z and KA series all have the same bolt pattern so yes the trannys will interchange, BUT, the L series is leaning to the passenger side by about 12 degrees and the Z and KA series sit more vertical. Swapping an L tranny onto a Z or KA will position it (and the shifter) with a lean toward the driver's seat. Likewise swapping a KA or a Z tranny onto an L series motor will position the tranny with a tilt towards the passenger seat.

I actually have my friends ka 5 speed in my garage/tent and my spare l28e so for communities sake I think I'm going to take some pics this weekend.

i went thru my local craigslist, i can get a ka tranny for 50 bux. seems to be the going rate. i have a tranny rebuild kit for the 78/79 280z(x) would it work on the ka one. or are they diff inside? how much better is the ka tranny, faster shifting? smoother? ive never driven a z with a good tranny or a ka vehicle at all.

The KA FS5W71C is vastly improved over the 280z/zx FS5W71B type. Wider gears for more strength, larger 62mm counter bearing with improved oiling, better design shifter, larger 3rd/4th shift fork, really large 1st/2nd shift fork and shift rod, improved synchros on all gears, It does use a shorter shifter, but all trannys shift fast, you just push harder. The C type will will handle the 'harder' way longer than the B type. It's three feet tall an bullet proof.:D

The gaskets should fit (front cover and adapter plate) bearings are smaller so no, not much use for a KA.

Edited by datzenmike