Wanted:Tachometer for A10 chassis 510

Hey guys,

I know this is probably a long shot,but I would really like a factory tach for my 78 Datsun 510. I am not even sure if they came with Tachometers in the US,but I have seen cars elsewhere with the SSS tach. I am not even sure what is done about the warning lights that reside in the place the tach would go,but maybe you guys know. Any help with whether or not these cars came with tachs in the US,or if you have one for sale I would appreciate it.

Chris

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They did come with tachs as an option. But it was a very rare option on '78-79s, and I've only seen them in Hatchbacks (and then only in 2). I have one in my Hatchback- it came that way- and no, I'm not parting with it. The warning lights are included in the tach.

Nissan part number: 24855-W5800

When I checked "OEM Surplus" about a minute ago they claimed to have several new, in box ones. Didn't get the price (they don't list their prices online, you have to email and ask). Dealer price is around $161.

Pic link:

http://www.oem-surplus.com/nwp/picpages/24855-W5800.html

Looking at the OEM Surplus pic, you'd need to get mounting nuts separate.

As a workaround, the tach from a '80-81 510 (which came with them standard) fits in the housing and all you do is plug in the wires (it's already wired for it). However the warning lights aren't in the right place (Oil pressure lights up the Brake, Battery is OK, but the Brake light lights up the number "4" in the tach). I swapped the '80-81 tach and speedo into my '78 Wagon 16 years ago. Because they're backlit instead of reflection-lit, they're easier to read. But the speedo only goes up to 85. I swapped both because the backlit '81 tach and the reflection-lit '78 speedo just looked funny.

Edited by datsunaholic

Thanks datsunaholic,

I have been on that site,and saw that tach listed,but I also notice the model year listed is 06/78. My car has a build date of 09/77. Do you think this will matter? My car is a two door hatchback as well,does that matter?

Edit:Just spoke with oem surplus,and they don't show any such car as a 78 510. The guy said his catalog shows the 510 starting back up in 79,and running through 81.

Edited by Comfort Eagle

He's got the wrong catalog. The 2nd gen 510 (model A10) was built starting in mid 1977. The facelift to the A10 hapened in mid '79 (that'd be the square headlight version with the upgraded dash and instrument cluster).

That tach that I gave you the part number for is the exact one for your car. 06/78 was probably when the option became available in the US, but it's doubtful as mine was built in Feb '78 and has the tach. Whether it was a dealer option or not, hard to tell- mine was a California car with practically all the options- Cloth seats, tach, air conditioning, 5-speed, passenger-side mirror, AM/FM Clarion Stereo.

Call them back and give them the part number.

Thanks for the info datsunaholic. I think I will call them back,and get the tach,he only wanted $35 for it. I guess I will need some mounting nuts as well,but I doubt they are anything special,right? Is teh car wired for the tach already,or do I need to run wires to make it work?

Do you have a link to pics of your A10? I would love to see it.

The car is already wired for it, and the gauge cluster was designed to use it so there's nothing special other than getting the cluster OUT without destroying the dash facia (hidden screws, particularly behind panels). Wires should be taped to the wiring harness behind the cluster, out of the way. It's unmistakenable as it's the only plug like it.

The nuts are tiny metric, like 2mm or 4mm thread.

My "A10" 510s are nothing special. I have 2 78 Hatchbacks (one is in pieces) and 2 wagons (a 78 and a 81). They're more "survivors" than lookers... the '78 Hatch that's at least self-mobile isn't called the "Blue Beater" for nothing. I mean, it was purchased as a PARTS CAR in 1993. Threw an engine from my wrecked one in in 1994 and drove it until the engine was burning a quart a day, 250,000 hard miles (in 2 cars, lots of teenage drivers).

'Ol Reliable Bought in 1991 from my Grade School music teacher (had 200,000 miles then. Has 300,000 now)

The Blue Beater. The burgundy door is off the same car the engine came from after my sister wrecked the front end of my first HB, which was wrecked in the back end when I got it. The blue door fell off at work one day. Hinges tore clean out of the door. Would have been funny if it hadn't landed on my foot.

The '81 Wagon Dunno why I bought it. Blown engine, automatic... pic is when I was putting a Z24 truck engine in it to replace the hydrolocked Z20S. Turns out I could have just fixed the Z20, the prior owner re-used the intake manifold gasket. Hence the cylinders full of coolant.

I have no pics of the one in pieces. It's stored in my folks garage, buried under 16 years accumulation of cardboard boxes and 2 cars worth of interior panels.

Edited by datsunaholic

Hey Datsunaholic,

I was wondering if you could get me a picture of the logo on the fender of one of your 78 hatchbacks? The guy who sold me this one put some DATSUN logo on the fenders,but they clearly aren't the stock ones,as I can see the outline of the factory ones. I have no idea what they really look like though,and was wondering. Any idea if you can still get those fender badges? Also he removed the factory rear badge,and put a PL510 badge on the deck lid. I do have the stock rear decklid badge,but I think the one on there looks better,so I guess I will leave it alone.

Chris

I might have one thats in a 79 510 FHLA10, I'm not sure if it works. The 510 is at a friends of mine JY. I plan on going up to his place in a couple of months after the snow melts to see if I can get the car running. Heres a pic of the tach and gauges. Hit me up in a couple of months to find out whats going on.

IMG_0190.jpg

I might have one thats in a 79 510 FHLA10, I'm not sure if it works. The 510 is at a friends of mine JY. I plan on going up to his place in a couple of months after the snow melts to see if I can get the car running. Heres a pic of the tach and gauges. Hit me up in a couple of months to find out whats going on.

That's the 80-81 gauge cluster.

$35 for the one at oem surplus?! I'll have to order one too.

FYI, I got the OEM Surplus tach in the mail today. It is really nice,and once I figure out how to get the dash apart I plan on mounting it. The tach came with the 4(four)mounting nuts,and a small harness that plugs into the back of the tach,and has three connectors:one male/female/bullet. It appears to be the correct part,and well worth the $35 In my opinion.

• 1 month later...

I got the oem surplus unit installed today. Hopefully I will have the car running soon to see if it works. I guess it would be pretty tough to screw it up,but with my luck the way it is lately I will be pulling the instrument cluster back out. I let the dash board apart though so it shouldn't be too tough to take the cluster out if need be.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.