Crane hall effect dizzy conversion!

DaveyDaveDaveDave

I just got the XR700, like $100 from summit (I know, doubles the value of my truck, but shes real special and totally worth it, the cheeky ole gal!)

Looks easy as hell, but Im gonna take some pics as I go in case theres anything interesting down that road. If there is, I'll post a short writeup and let you all know how it goes and if imho its worth the dough.

Currently I have a miss that no amount of fixin has...fixed. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, accel supercoil... Still misses. could try cleaning the dizz, but that makes too much sense:D

PS, its a 78, so it has the transistorized dizzy.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its not a matchbox, its the stock 78 distributor. 77 was a mixed year for mechanical and transistorized, in 79 they went matchbox, or as the haynes manual Im looking at calls it, IC ignition. Anyhow, im throwing in what is basically a hall effect. I opted for the cheap unit (xr700, not xr3000) in hopes that it cures a miss and looks badass. Its about time something under the hood was badass...

the XR700 was a Allison Point conversion the Crane Cams bought them out.

its more or less uses a tranisitor box and a light opital pick up with a shutter disc.

The kit will have assortement of shutters and you rig it up to the distributor shaft.

http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com/archsoftware/importedcarpartspfp/wizard.jsp?partner=pacific&year=1977&make=NI&model=PUP-620-003&category=F&part=Ignition+Conversion+Kit&partnerSession=98956858f0a5c6b411c6b70611f70918

To me it clutters up the engine bay(the box and 3 or 4 wires) but they have good reliability from what was written thru the years.

I believe you still use the ballast resisitor and stock coil.

I think the pertronix is cheaper and is a cleaner set up if you grind off the ring above the l20 point lobes.

ezest way is just buy a matchbox dizzy

HPIM0260_thumb.jpg

coilwireing_thumb.jpg