Wrats 411

Wharf Rat

Ok so I was surfing CL one day and came apon this.

0101040115030104002008052153cc44ea1.jpg

It was in York Maine a couple hours away, I had never heard of a RL411 Datsun. Back in 1979 I had a 1200 that was a great car until 1AM 1980 I slid on the ice and rear ended a big ol' Buick (one for Dat storys someday) anyhow I loved that little rig so I made the call. The guy said he just listed it. I left the house within the hour with a trailer. She was home by six that nite.

IMG_3863.jpg

IMG_3865.jpg

IMG_3864.jpg

IMG_3866.jpg

IMG_3867.jpg

The owner had the carbs overhauled and it ran but not well. after a bit of mixture and syncing them out by ear she ran like a top, SWEET!

So it came from Washington state. Maybe one of you guys saw it before. No rust undersides just a little in the bottoms of the rear quarterpanels The trunk lid was full of plastic someone must have done a raindance on it. Anyway I did a quicky body job and got the reg. plates RATSUN1 antique auto vanitys. They wouldn't give me just ratsun because I had Maine lobster plates RATSUN from a few years back on my 620. Me happy, very happy!

IMG_3870.jpg

IMG_3868.jpg

IMG_3905.jpg

IMG_3904.jpg

Later in the summer I found the wheels on ebay and got some new skins mounted. Found some vintage roof racks, bought a canoe for the wife and I and had a super summer! This winter was bad and I almost sold it and probly would have if a certain Oil Drop owner emailed me one day. THANK YOU! And the rest of you RATSUN lovers. ...... after I get the 620 going I will be back on my lil' gem.

IMG_0014.jpg

PEACE, WHARF RAT

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple more pics I forgot, you know, somethings are just meant to be and this is one of them. The doctor bills can wait til this summer when the fishing is good, Until then twenty bucks a month and I keep my "Lil' Gem" 411 and maybe a little longer if I find one of those dual sidedraft intakes!

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

Hmmmmm, this pic looks familiar, but can't remember where. Are you on EarlyDatsunClub?

IMG_3904.jpg

... and maybe a little longer if I find one of those dual sidedraft intakes!

Elaborate. Are you thinking of running Mikuni's on that R16? The SU's are best for a stock motor. You might want to poke around on 311s.org since that motor is what came in the 1600 roadsters.

YES! I LOVE IT! Man I should have bought it when I had the chance! Nice seats!

You know what, now that I know the whole story, this is TWICE I've wanted to buy this very car and haven't. I remember when it was up for sale by the previous owner on CL. I even wrote him about it I think. But cashola was tight.

I am so glad you kept it and brought it to Ratsun! Now I can enjoy it vicariously through you!

Edited by fisch