crower 6 stroke engine hotness

72240z

Interesting read and impressive invention.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crower_six_stroke

The Crower six-stroke engine is a high-efficiency variant of an internal combustion engine under development by Bruce Crower.

Two extra strokes are added to the customary internal combustion engine four stroke Otto cycle, which makes a six stroke engine. A third down-stroke is a "steam stroke" and a third up-stroke exhausts the expanded steam while venting heat from the engine.

The engine cold starts on the Otto cycle, coasting through the fifth and sixth strokes for a short period. After the combustion chamber temperature reaches approximately 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wowow!!!!

GIMME ONE!

I bet the oil producers would love to see that patent bought and filed away under 'never release'!

I'd say that GM Ford and Chrysler would like to do the same but they've all got their tiny dicks in their hands right now!

That's the kind of tech that we need to be hearing about and seeing everyday!

thanks!

Edited by hessianben

Ya I agree with you. He has engines running this format already too. I can't wait until its a little more drawn out so we can use it for ourselves lol.

Shocked there is only one response to this too seeing as how it could benefit every car/truck owner. I guess if it's not 40yo there is no interest. :rolleyes:

That is a great concept in taking the necessary energy needed to cool the engine and turn it into a power stroke. Kinda a steam internal combustion combo! I hope that they follow through and get it up and into production. This guy must have not slept for days after his mind came up with the idea.

Sounds like something a old school mechanic like my self maybe able to work on unlike these new hybrds. I'm looking forward to seeing some drawings.

Thanx for the info.

Peace WRAT

Isn't there a Mercedes, maybe a proto. that messed with using hot exhaust to boil water and return it to the drive line via a small steam engine. Steam like electric motors produce max torque at Zero RPMs. The steam could be used to push the car off every stop light in town.

Found it... it was BMW:

bilde?Site=CW&Date=20060217&Category=FREE&ArtNo=60213002&Ref=AR&Profile=1024&maxw=340

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060217/FREE/60213002/1024/LATESTNEWS

Edited by datzenmike

You guys think that's cool?

There was an article I read in Car Craft or Hot Rod @ '94, where a guy made a radial type motor, that did away with the crank completely.

Instead, the pistons rode on a "cam lobe", very similar to roller lifters.

His initial test model displaced only a tiny 40 cubic inches, and was putting out 400 HP...

Talk about efficient and revolutionary!!

Where is THAT one now...?

The least you could do when side tracking a thread is post some articles to back your claim lol. I kid :fu:

The type of engine your referring to is a swing piston engine. The concept is very similar to a wankel but using pistons instead of a single mas. The famous Mr. Otto (as in otto cycle?)was the 1st to produce one and many auto manufacturers both domestic and abroad have experimented with it. The specific engine your referring to sounds to me like the M.Y.T. (Massive Yet Tiny) engine. It is very impressive, but in theory alone. In practice it is plagued with problems which keep it from being used.

I posted about this type of engine and its M.Y.T. variant, I believe on hbz a couple years ago, it may be search able. You could google "Massive Yet Tiny" and "Swing Piston Engine" to learn more.

I forgot to add I personally like the 6 stroke idea more at this time because it is something any and all engines could be using with little modification. Lately I'm more into super efficient conventional engines since the world seems hell bent on using them. If I had my way EVERYTHING would be electric and the sun would be our fuel. There are battery patents that have been bought and locked away by the petro companies that, well I digress......

More ideas along this path would be direct injection, super efficient diesels, variable length intake manifolds, variable compression ratio blocks, camless engines etc...

Patents last for a limited time and are available to the public, so they can't be "hidden away, never to be used". For example, although Chevron controls about 60% of the NiMh battery patent (i.e. the batteries used in EV1 and Prius), that patent expires in 2015

That Car Craft article (as I remember) was about the Stirling engine, is that the one?

Nope, my description is nothing like that type of design.

Does that central piece look like an egg shaped cam lobe?

Or do those pistons look like big roller lifters?

And, is that 40 CI's?

AGAIN, I haven't seen the design I was speaking of since.

But THIS is close in concept, just 2 cyl opposed, versus being a radial:

Do you actually READ my posts, Bro?

I'm seriously wondering if you are in too much of a hurry to tell me I'm wrong,

or that you "knew" what I'm talking about before I did,

to actually SLOW down and try to understand and comprehend what I'm saying?

Maybe that's not the case, but it seems like everything I say, you have a better answer,

or you are trying awfully hard to prove I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Which is hilarious, really.

And often what you are saying is not anywhere near the core what I'm saying...

Edited by agentalpha
Nope, my description is nothing like that type of design.

Does that central piece look like an egg shaped cam lobe?

Or do those pistons look like big roller lifters?

And, is that 40 CI's?

AGAIN, I haven't seen the design I was speaking of since.

But THIS is close in concept, just 2 cyl opposed, versus being a radial:

Do you actually READ my posts, Bro?

I'm seriously wondering if you are in too much of a hurry to tell me I'm wrong,

or that you "knew" what I'm talking about before I did,

to actually SLOW down and try to understand and comprehend what I'm saying?

Maybe that's not the case, but it seems like everything I say, you have a better answer,

or you are trying awfully hard to prove I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Which is hilarious, really.

And often what you are saying is not anywhere near the core what I'm saying...

I would just take a deep breath and relax, I really don't care who's right or who's wrong. You posted a couple tid bits and nothing else so I took some guesses for conversations sake. If your going to be so tiffy just post a reference to wtf your talking about. Then it's a contribution to the conversation and not a distraction.

.....and please don't call me bro, my name is Jason.

Edited by 72240z
Patents last for a limited time and are available to the public, so they can't be "hidden away, never to be used". For example, although Chevron controls about 60% of the NiMh battery patent (i.e. the batteries used in EV1 and Prius), that patent expires in 2015

That Car Craft article (as I remember) was about the Stirling engine, is that the one?

Ya that's one of a few I'm referring to. There are some super efficient patents that are completely unused though as well.

And if a sterling is what agentaphas referring too then I's agree it is very similar only instead of a sep system its an extra stroke on a existing system, if you know what I mean....

Edited by 72240z