L18 upgrade

jrbd10

Thanks to fellow member natin, I now have some side drafts. I plan on getting new fuel lines, and a mild to hot cam. Any other reasonable suggestions? I have exhaust already and trying to get some more torque or horses for my buck.

as it stands around 3,000 rpms and it makes a weird clicking sound. My friend tells me it might be something internal any thoughts?

Edited by jrbd10
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks to fellow member natin, I now have some side drafts. I plan on getting new fuel lines, and a mild to hot cam. Any other reasonable suggestions? I have exhaust already and trying to get some more torque or horses for my buck.

as it stands around 3,000 rpms and it makes a weird clicking sound. My friend tells me it might be something internal any thoughts?

im having the same problem. mine makes the same exact noise and the tick goes faster when i rev it. i thought the valves needed to be adjusted but it might just be an exhaust leak??

A solid lifter will tap all the time from idle up. Usually more noticeable when the rest of the engine is quieter at idle. Varies with engine speed.

Exhaust leak becomes louder as you increase the load on the engine and it works harder. Varies with engine speed.

A noise that only occurs at a set RPM could be worn/loose/slack timing chain/tensioner. 720s have been known to do this at idle when oil is low or needs changing. The tensioner is fed with oil which combined with the internal spring forces the shoe out against the chain to tension it. Any drop or lack in oil pressure will slightly affect it. A Z24i oil pump will help idle oil pressure.

ok Im hoping its just the exhaust. but what about a mild cam or a hot cam is this a good idea?

if your keeping it l series and you want the most power and tourqe have the head ported and polished have bigger valves put in it if possible do this on a closed chamber head a hot cam will only give you power at higher rpm i would get a mild one so you have power where your gonna use it so far everything ive said is head related build the head then take the head after its built and get build an lz2.2 using l20b parts this is the biggest displacment l series motor your gonna get without having to weld aluminum remember there is no replacment for displacment