Eletrical gremlin

Need some help troubleshooting a weird problem. I go to start my car up tonight and I have no dash lights, meter lights, taillights, and running lights. The headlights work fine and so do the brakelights, just no running lights. Well the headlights don't work perfectly fine, the high beam switch doesn't respond. Before it would turn the driving lights off(no high beams). Heres the weird part....All the lights not working now flash with the alarm when I arm/disarm it. I didn't wire it up so I dont know where the source is. I changed all questionable fuses and nothin. I found one blown fuse for the alarm and that's what made the dashlights react to the arm/disarm. You guys think it could have something to do with the actual headlight switch?

TIA

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In order to have hi beams the parking lights have to be on so lack of parking lights are causing this and that's normal. Get the parking lights back and the hi beams will work.

Has to be the 20 amp fuse or the switch. My schematic doesn't show the fuse box position properly ... but it appears to be the second fuse back on the right side. 20 amp and a Green/White wire. If there is power on both side of the fuse then the problem would appear to be further on in the switch. Does wiggling the switch make it work?

The 20 amp fuse might even check out OK for continuity, but they have a generic problem. Under vibration [like from a 4 cylinder motor] they crack the solder joint between the fuse link and the end cap. Change the 20 amp fuse before doing anything heroic. Your brake lights are also probably non functioning if the is the problem