Somewhat Serious Street Build

drummingpariah

It wasn't wrecked. It just sat for too long.

The floors are going to be pretty simple once I cut out the floors. Cutting is going to be the tough part. Then I just take it to a welder with an plasma cutter and have him weld a new sheet of metal in. Should cost around $100 including materials. It won't be especially pretty, but this isn't a show car, and that portion of the floor will be covered by a seat anyway. I'm not all that concerned.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh i thought that when the truck's tie rods got into a bad argument and said some things they didn't really mean and parted ways the bumper and tires got messed up on the Z...

Don't know how it happened, didn't ask any questions. Kind of like when you start dating a girl who has a kid. As long as the frame's still in good condition, I'll ride in it (yes, that works either way).

i couldnt get a pic of it but the numbers appear to read 234186.

a master for the clutch?

i think i might have a NIB one around here lol

Yep, clutch master. I took one off the NA s130, and it LOOKS like it'll fit, but the reservoir will be at a 45-degree angle, and it's quite a bit bigger. That offers the advantage of giving me more leverage at the cost of more pedal travel, but allows me to run a much more aggressive clutch as well. Choices, choices. I'm going to see if I can get the old one off tonight. Just out of curiosity, what would you want for yours, if it does turn up? Is the rod straight?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, not a lot. I really need a new clutch master cylinder, since the s130 cylinder doesn't reach the s30 pedals. I also need the hard line to connect the master and slave, but I'm hoping I can just get some pre-flanged brake lines and bend them to fit. I cut out the rusty floor, but haven't welded new metal in.

I'm about to move again, and should have some local garage space to be able to work in next month or so. In the meantime, trying to get rides up to Vallejo on the weekends is a pain in the arse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, it looks like I can't edit the first post here, but I moved my photo album. Here's the latest link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/madnessmanual/S30#

I did a bit more work on it, and hope to spend my weekend with my car getting some more done. We'll see how that goes, though. I'm also preparing to move into a new house that has a huge fenced backyard that will inevitably be used as an outdoor garage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know what happened to all my original pics, but I can't go back and edit those posts now.

Moving forward, Saturday's going to be a big day! Anyone who wants to come down to Oakland to help is certainly welcome to. Just shoot me a PM and I'll get you directions and have enough food/beverages available for everyone.

2009-07-04%2012.48.38.jpg

2009-07-04%2012.48.30.jpg

113_1841.jpg

2009-06-20%2009.57.07.jpg

2009-07-04%2012.49.05.jpg

2009-06-12%2012.27.31.jpg

2009-07-02%2020.00.22.jpg

2009-07-04%2012.46.17.jpg

dsc00358a.jpg

Engine's in, waiting for some wiring, intercooler, ductwork, and a turbocharger to be received.

2009-07-14%2007.59.31.jpg

I relocated my ignition to a nice under-dash area where my keys won't dangle and slap me in the legs:

2009-07-08%2016.14.37.jpg

I did some light fab work and made a switch panel:

(test fit final location)

2009-07-13%2020.57.38.jpg

(drilling holes for switches: fan, fuel pump, undecided)

2009-07-14%2018.36.52.jpg

I also finished fabricating a small block-off plate for the old power steering pump, which I won't be using. I just finished painting it (flat black, go figure!), and need to pick up some RTV sealant to make a gasket for it.

2009-07-12%2013.00.43.jpg

My new brake lines came in:

2009-07-13%2018.18.54.jpg

I tossed in a new steering wheel for $40 as well:

2009-07-14%2018.35.48.jpg

I cleaned up one of the four-speeds, but it looks like I won't be using it after all. I'm going to pick up a 5spd off a fellow Ratsun trucker who's going with an sr20, I should be able to make it up there this weekend! That means the 4speed is up for grabs.

2009-07-12%2014.43.22.jpg

I got lucky last night, and scheduled a DMV appointment for this morning at 9:30am. I was also lucky enough to get some time out of work to go down there. I showed up with a license plate and bill of sale on a car that hadn't been registered in 15 years, and crossed my fingers as I walked in the door.

20 minutes later, I had temp plates and legal permission to drive my car. I'm somewhat stunned. No title, nothing crazy. All I have to do is drive it to the DMV at some point in the next few months and let them verify the VINs (which are legitimate!). Not too shabby, a big two thumbs up for the sweet little lady behind the counter at the DMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the turbo I had been waiting on still hasn't arrived. I've been tearing apart the 280zx donor car in my car-time, and have been sick for the past week, so I don't have a very worthwhile update. I did slap a new air dam on the front though, and have started making the template for the engine bay belly pan.

It looks like I'm going to make a 3-piece pan similar to the 2-piece zr8ed made here:

ZR8ED Two Piece Belly pan project - HybridZ

It might end up being a 2-piece, for simplicity of manufacturing. Hopefully, it'll be act as a support for the air dam as well, but I may add a bracket to attach it to the grille mount bracket. Primary concerns are making sure I can attach/detach it from under the car, cutting an access hole for the oil pan bolt, and making sure I have complete clearance for the wheels. Ideally, I'd like to integrate a brake venting system to pull air from under the car, but I'm not sure my physics skills are quite up to that task.

I believe I'm going to keep the front bumper and straighten it a bit using c-clamps and 2x6's. The air dam looks pretty sweet if I do say so myself, I just need to drill some holes to mount the directionals under the bumper.

2009-07-19%2021.34.34.jpg

I finally have my compressor up and working now, and plan to make FULL use of it throughout the next week or so. I have a die grinder hooked up and ready to go to replace the piece of crap tool called a roto-zip that the Home Depot 'tool guy' talked me into buying. If you ever intend to do ANYTHING with ANY metal, a roto-zip is a terrible idea. Don't buy one. Even if you can't get a compressor and air tools, get an angle grinder instead.

Currently awaiting delivery:

5speed tranny (unknown gearing)

t3/t4 hybrid turbo

another t3/t4 hybrid turbo (just in case... they sell pretty well if I don't need the spare)

intake mani w/ a 60mm throttle body (hopefully the throttle linkage works nicely

20lb media blaster

manual bearing-style boost controller

8 450cc DSM injectors (I have yet to see if I can make a way to fit them in, but I doubt it'll be any worse than the stock configuration)

Once the 280zx donor is out of the garage, I'll be able to get my s30 up on jackstands and get it running, complete with brakes and everything. Woohoo!

So, has anybody used the DSM injectors with the stock efi system? I don't think I want to dive into megasquirt QUITE yet, but I may have to.

There are like 4 dif kinds, I think all are low impedance so they should work fine with the stock or z31 ecu w/e. Idk what size they are though, they look like 11mm so a pallnet rail may work. They are still top feed though so w/e the case you can just bore the rail or ask him to make one.

Fuel rails look pretty simple to me, just a hollowed tube of alu with 6 holes drilled in the side and two threaded ends, right? I could make one and order some stainless steel braided line to run fuel to it, hog out some nice thick o-rings as injector seats, and call it a day.

Pallnet does make an 11mm rail out of 6mm, 8mm, or 10mm stock. It looks like I could just take some 10mm stock and a lathe and make something kind of cool. Maybe an intake manifold or itb's to go along with the turbo (It's a silly idea, but I simply like itb's).

Got most of a turbo today but it doesn't look good at all. I don't think it's going back together, and I'm not sure it's worth putting back together since it's a mere t3. 'Some Assembly Required' was an understatement.

2009-07-29%2022.51.39.jpg

I've ordered a set of 4 450cc DSM injectors, and own another set of 4 for a total of 8 bluetops. I think I can make new mounts and a fuel rail for them, and have a bit more fuel at my disposal (but we'll see how that 280zxt pump actually flows in practice).

I have a pair of t3/t4 hybrids en route to me, I just haven't decided if I want to keep one as a spare or sell one to cover some of my build costs. I'll be putting up a big pile of s30 parts for sale pretty soon as I clean out my garage from parts leftover after gutting and making decisions as to what to keep.

Now I'm off to play around with Autodesk Inventor - it looks promising, and I THINK I can make something to mount up those 450cc injectors.

Idk how capable you are in the machine shop if you can make a rail power to ya, money saved. It's not nearly as simple as your describing though.

I was going to go with dsm injectors too but was reading they have a dual spray pattern for dual valves, in our motors they spray the walls or some such.

Doesn't everyone love itbs? I'm home brewing a set up too :-). Justin's set up is just too nice.

if you end up having extra t3 parts let me know :D

I think there's a VERY strong chance of that, but not much of this looks usable.

Idk how capable you are in the machine shop if you can make a rail power to ya, money saved. It's not nearly as simple as your describing though.

I was going to go with dsm injectors too but was reading they have a dual spray pattern for dual valves, in our motors they spray the walls or some such.

Doesn't everyone love itbs? I'm home brewing a set up too :-). Justin's set up is just too nice.

I'm capable of walking into a CNC machine shop with a .dwf plan, that's for sure. I'm pretty much done with the design, but I have to measure the injector tops before I can finalize it. I'm wondering what threads I should use for the end fittings though.

As far as DSM patterns go, the bluetops are single-spray where blacktops are dualspray. Check it out:

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> Edited by Phlebmaster
fixed the youtube link. :)

Well, rated at 450cc @ 43psi. I'm sure I'll have to run a lower fuel pressure to be able to use these, I'm essentially tuning the engine by recalibrating the AFM and adjusting fuel pressure, and HOPEFULLY I can get a reasonable fuel map and keep from excessive leanness (because of the larger compressor) or richness (due to the larger injectors). It'll take some fiddling, and possibly megasquirt if I can afford it.

Most injectors will function fine over their maximum rated psi, and it's unlikely that you'll actually run a high enough fuel pressure to max out the injectors.

... especially on an s30, where the fuel tank sloshes around enough that you could run dry. Running the pump at a higher pressure is even worse if it runs dry.

I was thinking afc for mine, they dirt cheap used. So much easier too.

Your going to run the stock tank with no mods? My friends have sumps welded in and what not and they still run dry. No way I'm risking that, trying to work up a surge tank set up.

On digifant VW, they have 2 fuel pumps, one to fill a "reservoir", and another to take fuel from the "reservoir" up to the motor... you can get these parts fairly easily from the wrecking yard.

I really like that idea a lot! I may do just that and just have a small reservoir of filtered fuel up in the front with a mini-pump hooked up. Does anyone know if the l24 mechanical fuel pump would do the trick? I assume it's a very low-pressure pump and won't stand up to the rigors of a turbo efi car, but I suppose it's worth asking.