Rust, prevention and treatment

ichorid

Hey guys, so I am going to be giving the engine bay of my 510 a good scrub down this weekend, and I was planning on sanding down and trying to slow some seemingly bad rust spots.

I found this online

http://www.gemplers.com/product/127787/Spray-on-Rust-Converter

but it sounds a little to good to be true, nothing can just spray and make my worries go away. Other than easy cheese.

is it just like por15? any of you ever use this stuff?

I think Ill just stick to the local home depot supply of

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100171058&N=10000003+90048+1684

I have used it before after sanding and cleaning metal surfaces and it treated me well. Just never really seen anything that claimed it turned rust in to beneficial anti-rust primer. well if any one has had any experiences with the stuff let me know I may order some when I gut the interior if its any good.

here are pics of the rust for views and ref.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

thanks,

-casey

Edited by ichorid
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used Rust Check`s rust converter with pretty good results.I painted the inside and outside of a cast iron pool pump about 5 years ago with this stuff and still looks not bad.Out side looks really good inside flaking off a bit. I did the back half of my 521 frame last year it still looks the same as it did when I sprayed it,and I never even got any paint on it.I plan on doing the hole frame this spring.Here is what I do wire wheel the rusted areas best you can,then spray with the rust converter.It may take two applications all depends on how rusty the area is.Once it is dry it turns to a different colour and is ready for paint no additional primer required..This coating stop the rust(not forever) and gives you a paintable surface.I use all the time now.Check out a can can`t hurt can it.

Look into POR 15 as well.

I second wirewheeling any crusty, flakey areas. Sand paper for the light stuff, should be able to get rid of a lot of it.

Your truck actually doesn't look to bad. Looks like it blew a radiator hose...or maybe the whole radiator.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/127787/Spray-on-Rust-Converter

but it sounds a little to good to be true, nothing can just spray and make my worries go away. Other than easy cheese.

is it just like por15?

if it sounds too good to be true, it usualy is!

mmmmmm aerosol cheese :drool:

id stay away from that spray brand, very little chemical content based on the MSDS.

look for something w/ phosphoric acid. and def remove as much as possible.

the stuff works though.

its NOT at all like por15, which you should apply afterwards.

and none of them fill holes or replace missing metal (battery tray area)