control arm question

Farmer Joe

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's exactly what you do. Easy swap to disc brakes, you need the lower control arm, spindle, hubs and brakes from a later model truck.

I would suggest using at least an '85 (I think) or newer control arm/brake combo. This way you get vented rotors and the newer style calipers

Yeah, the 720's will bolt right up to the 620 frame.

These arms will allow you to keep some adjustability with the added width of the 720 lowers. The 720's had a wider track width, and the 720's/hb's mounted the upper arms on the outside of the frame instead of the inside like the 620's do.

I sell these for $150/pair.

mkay. how much wider is the track width on the 720? cant be much can it? also, will the 720 tierod work with the most of my stock 620 steering equipment?

thanks for the help. finding out all this stuff will make swappin the brakes alot easier.

Track width is about 2.250" total increase, 1.125" per side. The lower arms are not a direct swap, you have to weld spacers onto the arms at the frame mounting bolt. You need two 1/4" spacers for each control arm. And you have to modify the tension rods to fit your frame.

my 620 tie rods fit right into HB spindles. I dont know what the 521 has for tie rods.

On your 521, you are going to want to address the single reserivoir master cylinder too.

Guest DatsuNoob
Track width is about 2.250" total increase, 1.125" per side. The lower arms are not a direct swap, you have to weld spacers onto the arms at the frame mounting bolt. You need two 1/4" spacers for each control arm. And you have to modify the tension rods to fit your frame.

my 620 tie rods fit right into HB spindles. I dont know what the 521 has for tie rods.

On your 521, you are going to want to address the single reserivoir master cylinder too.

What do you mean by spacers, can you show a picture, sorry, I'm a visual learner:D. I'd like to know so when it comes time, I know what to expect.

I've been putting my conversion off for too long. I've just been too busy at work, and too lazy at home. Thanks man.

Good to know Jason, I calculated about 1.5" per side (this was by comparing hubs/spindles from both trucks) I didn't know about the 1/4" spacers as I modded the 620 lowers to work with hb spindles on my truck.

Farmer-all the tie rods have the same tapers on them, I'm currently running all 720 tie rods on my truck right now.

Noob-the 720/hb lca's have a wider mount where they mount to the frame than the 620's, so spacers are required to keep them tight to the frame.

Good to know Jason, I calculated about 1.5" per side (this was by comparing hubs/spindles from both trucks) I didn't know about the 1/4" spacers as I modded the 620 lowers to work with hb spindles on my truck.

Farmer-all the tie rods have the same tapers on them, I'm currently running all 720 tie rods on my truck right now.

Noob-the 720/hb lca's have a wider mount where they mount to the frame than the 620's, so spacers are required to keep them tight to the frame.

Beebani

I didnt do the measuring for the 1.125" myself, so you could be correct on the 1.5", But i dont think that i gained that much on my truck.

And those spacer apply to the 78/79 620 lower disc arms also.

was wonderin if 521 and 620 upper and lower control arms were the same. im wanting to make some control arms so i can run balljoints and 84up 720 spindles and brakes.

thanks

heres the confusion ...

The mentioning of a 521..

Since the 521 is a kingpin setup, will these arms still work? I dont mean to hijack the thread, but ive been seeing the balljoint swap stuff floating around and thought id ask here where the guys that have done it are. Seems this thread is mainly bout the 620 tho

does anyone have a pictures of the torsion bar mount for the lower control arm for a 620 and a 720? i wanna see what the difference is between them.

thanks!

No pics, but the torsion bar mounts are different for king pin arms versus disc brake arms. But the spline count is the same, so make sure to get the torsion mounts with the lower arms.