620 radiator

SD620

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

actually now that i think about it, the newer 620 radiator has a tab on the top of the mounting brackets on each side that pass thru holes on the core support...i don't think that the '73 has the 2 round holes in the core support for the tabs to pass thru, however, you can just bend the tabs and it will bolt right up.

72 and 73 rads are 1 inch SMALLER than 74+ rads. so the holes would have to modified ,1/2 inch on either side, to fit. also they are thicker hence why the core support was redesigned to give the extra room. it CAN be done but will ahve to be modded to fit right. trust me. i have had this conversation before when i got my 73 620.

I just changed my rad in the '73 too. I had to drill two new holes in the mounting flange, not a big deal. I had to get the upper hose for an L20 engine and trim 3/4" of each end and had to shorten the lower hose too a bit.

It is a pretty tight fit around the alternator pully. There isn't much clearance. It seems like the lower inlet is closer to the center than the stock L16 rad. I bet that when I do the SloDat Saturn Alt swap it's going to be a problem. We will see. Really nice to have the new bigger rad though.

I bet that when I do the SloDat Saturn Alt swap it's going to be a problem.

I did the alt swap..had to zip tie the lower hose closer to the rad. so it would'nt hit the alt.

You can trim and twist the hose and get a lot (>1") clearance from any moving parts. I've done it a few times..