How to get an extra 1/2"

ImInked

I took my rear leafs out and flipped the big overload spring on top of the main spring. This does two things. It keeps the mono from fleing too much, but it also acts as an extra 1/2" lowering block. Needless to say it almost touches the frame. Nothing a "C" notch couldn't fix. I feel this is way better than mono leafing. You get the same amount of drop without running one spring.

This is where I started

truck001.jpg

Once it's apart, just remove the guide bolt and run it through the overload leaf first. No C clamp needed to clamp them together.

truck003.jpg

Finished product.hook the shock back up and you're good to go.

truck004.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

your still goin to have really bad axle wrap with how thats setup there. the overload on the top spring wont do hardly anything since the main leaf is bowed up. all its going to do it roll on top of the main leaf, and your goin to have really bad pinion change under acceleration, deceleration and braking.

i have my truck setup similar to yours, but i i have the over load under the main leaf. so the overload spring basically hold the weight of the rear. the main leaf is just to connect the axle to the frame pretty much. with my setup plus the 3 inch block, and with a 205 75 14 tire i still tuck 3 inches of tire in the back.

I feel this is way better than mono leafing. You get the same amount of drop without running one spring.

I think that basically you have a mono leaf there. None of the truck weight rests on the overload spring when mounted on top.

I tried it both ways. I had it on the bottom and on the top and it kept the main leaf flat both ways. i spent most of the weekend under the rear trying different things out. guess i'll try it under the main leaf again. thanx guys for your input. this is a great site for bouncing ideas off of everybody.

There is a reason for the manufacturer to make things the way they are. Cool idea though. I still have all my springs on my 521 with 4" drop. It rides rough but I can at least haul more then a sack of potatoes. :blink:

Thanx! i'm gonna go and put it back under again. i was just trying to think outside the box. my truck isn't gonna haul anything. it's a cruiser.

that is still pretty much monoleaf, you can still do that in the same way you have done there but with the whole spring pack and placing the overload springs onton of the whole pack and it flattens them out nicely, that combined with your blocks should give you a very decent drop that won't be too far off chassis, that way you won't be running mono leaf. That's just my preferred way of doing things.

Monoleaf (from a stock main leaf) is not one of the tried-and-true methods. Here's what they do in USA and Japan.

From "best/most expensive" to "more controversial/less expensive"

* Fit special-design lowering springs. This is often a specially designed monoleaf

* Re-arch the leaf springs

* fit lowering blocks

* Flip main leaf

The last is the cheapest easist way. My Datsun pickup has it: uses the whole spring pack (or at least three leaves) with the main flipped upside down. Lowers it a lot because the spring "eyes" are upside down, but is very stiff so it doesn't often bottom out.

A lot of guys say lowering blocks are dangerous, but no one has never presented any actual evidence of that. Ditto for flipping the main leaf, but it seems to work.

Edited by ggzilla

Lowering blocks have been used since the 50's if not earlier. Back in the 80's I monoleafed my 620 and used to street race it without failure. There are a number of ways to lower a truck but let's face it, if there's five different ways to get the axle sitting on the frame then they all had the same end result. And, you won't get any lower without modding the frame. I still think airbags are the answer, but until then it's gonna stay layed on the frame. Luckily this isn't my daily driver cuz the ride quality is a little stiff

i've got 2" blocks on my truck, but i've also got all my leafs, if i did anything i think i would flip em.. but to each they're own.. if you want a bad back go for it heheh :P sometimes even my truck gets annoying with the bumps an stuff, an im sure yello620 will vouch for that too

Are you stoned again?:lol: I've never even ridden in your truck.