Any reputable (no-core) rebuilt transmission shops?

Looking into putting a 5 speed behind the l16 in a 1970 521 pickup. Don't want to the dogleg. From what I've read the next best would be a FS5W71-B (preferably mid ratio). Are there any reputable shops rebuilding and selling these transmissions? The truck currently has the 4 speed so I wouldn't have a core. I've read mixed reviews on 'California Datsun Inc' so I am skeptical... but otherwise Google isn't providing great results. I'm located in Dallas but willing to have something shipped, if there's even a market for this. 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't drive primarily on the highway to work, a five speed won't get much use. If you think you'll go faster you won't. It will drop highway RPMs slightly but I doubt it'll make much difference in mileage. Over drive is for highway cruise speed. If passing climbing a hill, carrying a heavy load or driving into strong wind use fourth. That said, there is the cool factor.

I've never heard anything good about California Datsuns.

Try the classifieds: https://ratsun.net/classifieds/category/9-datsun-parts/

Hope you can find a shop willing to rebuild it.  I didn't have much luck in my area (Seattle) so decided to attempt it myself.  It wasn't too difficult.  Need some bearing pullers and a press is helpful.  The F.S.M and some dime quarterly articles came in handy too.  You may be able to find a used trans in your area by using https://www.car-part.com/. 

Most Datsun race shops can also build you a good transmission. Some of them may even have good cores laying around if you want to buy one outright. But here's the thing - they are all going to be more expensive than a regular ol rebuild shop. Back in the '90s I could rebuild a Z 5 speed for $600. I don't know what it costs now days, but I bet the cost is over $1500 for the same job. And core prices have gone up as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if an outright sale would be more than $2000.

I also use car-part.com for finding parts. It is a great resource.