Can't get good seal at flange between manifold and exhaust pipe

From the looks of it, no gasket is required. It looks like the piece at the flange is supposed to fit the bevel in the manifold outlet, but no matter what I do I can't get it to seal. Do I slop it up with muffler cement, or is there a better option? Edit- Forgot to say this is on my 1978 HL510 goon.

Edited by Rustbuster78
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

I really can't find any photos online of a manifold like mine. Another issue is that the gasket would have to be really thick to fill the gap as the tapered flange piece sticks out quite a ways. I can try to take a picture tomorrow because I feel like I'm not explaining things very well.

Edited by Rustbuster78

Yes. Somewhat like a valve and valve seat but a rounded surface so it doesn't need perfect alignment. It's more like a ball and socket fitting. 

Make sure the two surfaces are undamaged and clean. I don't think there was a gasket for this.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

Yes. Somewhat like a valve and valve seat but a rounded surface so it doesn't need perfect alignment. It's more like a ball and socket fitting. 

Make sure the two surfaces are undamaged and clean. I don't think there was a gasket for this.

Yes! That's right. And I finally found a photo of one online. http://datsun1200.com/uploads/photos/22644.jpg I

8 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I did try cleaning both surfaces with a wire brush, if there is any damage then it must have been caused by me as it was good before I took the manifold off the replace the intake/exhaust manifold gasket after trying to repair a crack in the intake manifold which didn't go so well either. I tried using one of the aluminum brazing rods and it cracked again after trying to reinstall the pcv valve so I gobbed rtv over it for the time being.

• Like 1

A muffler shop could probably make you new flange but replace the manifold first. Or you could swap for the gasket type manifold with the matching flange and have it welded on to your exhast