Fan controller

So, I have this dual fan setup, on the L series I had the Z car thermostat housing with 2 provisions for threaded sensors. I don’t have that available for this ka head. What is the take on the probe style fan controller? Reliable? 

IMG_3319.jpeg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have my sensor on the lower radiator hose. My reasoning is the hot water coming out of the thermostat will trigger a sensor mounted there turning the fans on even though the coolant hasn't had the chance to be cooled by passing through the radiator without the fan. Fan comes on even though it might not be needed.

On mine, only when the radiator has done it's job and the cooling isn't enough do the fans come on. My sensor is from a later Sentra 200sx SR20 I think. It's just a short length of pipe with sensor in it. I cut an inch out of my lower rad hose and slipped it in.

Iv4wAOR.jpg

It's wired to a relay directly to the battery through a 30 amp fuse. (start up draw on two Subaru fans is significant) This way it can come on during heat soak after the engine is shut down. I think it's around 190F.

• Like 1

From my experience, the common probe controllers like the one from Hayden, are not very heavy duty and burn out. It all depends on the amp ratings of the fans. I've burned up enough cheap fan controllers.

What I do now is control the fans through an ECU, but isolate them from the factory relays using a pair of heavy duty relays from BeCool. Yes, I add relays to relays so there are three relays controlling the fans. You could do the same with the Hayden unit. Wire it up so that it triggers the BeCool relays, which would get power direct from battery, through a fuse of course.

Be Cool relays -

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bci-75017?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAjw1emzBhB8EiwAHwZZxV8AgWyQ4GqgWslQotBIJ4MVBd_bM5NdMIxEJI1HiL5bZfh4Sdg_ahoCCEcQAvD_BwE

Hayden controller -

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-3647?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAjw1emzBhB8EiwAHwZZxfaR58gqDCK_S759mZxuyMKL1B96iYvwTcpdzGuv3deyXgYjqgFMrBoCir4QAvD_BwE

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 1
37 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

It doesn't say, or at least I couldn't find any amp rating.

Continuous 30 max 40. Second fan comes on 10 seconds after first fan reaching set temp. 

• Like 1
On 6/25/2024 at 4:45 PM, Socalman said:

Thanks, This is the one I have coming….it come with a probe but can be replace with a inline sensor later…https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcw-dc-0444

I installed that fan controller over a year ago and it's been awesome. The 10 second fan delay is really nice as it reduces the sudden load on the electrical system that was causing a drop in my RPM's when the fans all went on at once. I've used a couple of the Hayden controller in the past, but they both burned up after a few years.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Z23T said:

I installed that fan controller over a year ago and it's been awesome. The 10 second fan delay is really nice as it reduces the sudden load on the electrical system that was causing a drop in my RPM's when the fans all went on at once. I've used a couple of the Hayden controller in the past, but they both burned up after a few years.

Good info. Thank you 

i am running this one i use the bung style sensor in a thermostat housing from a 75/76datsun truck or 74/75 260/280z 

it has 3 bung holes i use one for aftermarket gauge

1 for fan temp sensor 

and the last one for a factory gauge

this is all L series of course 

i did melt the fuse holder after 2.5 years and added a more heavy duty one later 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16759?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm8n9nMT_hgMVEtXCBB1e2gLCEAQYBCABEgKV5PD_BwE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a really nice fan controller, has a digital read out, I have it set at 190* for fans to come on, no noticeable drop in idle or volts when it kicks in. I’m hoping 190* is ideal for this engine. It has no thermostat since there is no way to put one in this Housing. Seems to be custom, I assume that’s how it came from Rebello…

IMG_3398.jpeg