Adapting stock 521 caps on non-stock wheels?

So amusingly enough my truck came equipped with 3 stock wheels (and 7 stock dog dish caps), which famously is not a useful number of wheels, and also a lot of caps. So I got these which I really like as a “wider stock wheel” option in 15” (wheel vintiques series 62):

IMG_0184.jpeg.57eb384507840d7f4f48929ed385860d.jpeg

My measurements on the stock cap led me to believe they might fit before I ordered the wheels but of course they don’t quite fit. However, they would look good:

IMG_0183.jpeg.e0c13f8aeb18f3a1baea544ca243e3ed.jpeg

Soooo I took it to a welder to add the nubs and he said he didn’t want to do it and that my caps would be flying off. He said go to a machinist and drill holes in the wheels instead to add the nubs.

Something about drilling holes in wheels seems wrong, but maybe I need to get over it.

Wheel vintiques does sell caps but they just aren’t right:

IMG_0297.jpeg.3a8f89f116b7eaeacdf67e8c6a8679c9.jpeg

Any thoughts on best option? Drilling holes in wheels okay? Find a new welder? Other ideas?

And don’t worry, I’ve got the whitewalls ready.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it was a guy on YouTube “PuddinsFabShop” that did the weld on nubs. I don’t know what video, but google it and you may have luck. 
-Pidge

edit. Think this the link. 

Edited by pidge
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, zed1 said:

This solution may work Link

Keith

Wow they make that look easy. Surely I can too.

Okay yeah in absence of a rivet gun I’m gonna go with screw on clips, good call. Called wheel vintiques and they said they don’t have them anymore and recommended I buy their caps instead, but looks like plenty other suppliers out there. 

I will get over my fear of drilling wheels and post the results success or fail! Thank you for the emotional support.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay I’m getting there. Drilled three holes for a #4 machine screw to pass through:

IMG_0272.jpeg.f3bc315e20bf8df056698d9ac672f59e.jpeg

added a 1/4” standoff:

IMG_0271.jpeg.14b323585c56bcac80bf5aed181ca7b5.jpeg

test fit for diameter:

IMG_0270.jpeg.a6a709c276d97e9f27d8369d36d93a0a.jpeg

I think we are in business! I need to secure the screw to the wheel of course and the stand-off to the screw but the cap is tight. I think I’ll slam on a round spacer over top of the hex stand-off to make it even tighter on the cap but…I think this will work!

• Like 4