Mechanical fuel pump pressure

Is there any reason you can’t unbolt the top of a oem mechanical pump and ‘re clock’ it so the inlet and outlets point in a more desirable angle?

I got a new pump and did do this. 
this new pump puts out the same 1.5-2 psi. I replaced it in hopes of higher pressure. 
Shouldn’t this be higher?

Im running DHLA 40’s and need a little more pressure. 
Don’t want to go electric pump if I don’t have to. 
Most things I read say stock pump should be okay. 
It does run okay, but I’d like to get everything as spot on as I can. 

Edited by Stitebunny
  • Like 1
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Stitebunny changed the title to Mechanical fuel pump pressure
On 5/14/2024 at 11:00 AM, Stitebunny said:

Is there any reason you can’t unbolt the top of a oem mechanical pump and ‘re clock’ it so the inlet and outlets point in a more desirable angle?

I got a new pump and did do this. 
this new pump puts out the same 1.5-2 psi. I replaced it in hopes of higher pressure. 
Shouldn’t this be higher?

Im running DHLA 40’s and need a little more pressure. 
Don’t want to go electric pump if I don’t have to. 
Most things I read say stock pump should be okay. 
It does run okay, but I’d like to get everything as spot on as I can. 

L16/L18 pump 2.5 to 3.4 PSI

L20B pump 3-3.9

Both should deliver 1 liter per minute or less volume.

16 hours ago, Slow Loris said:

@Stitebunny Great idea, please advise how it works out…I think you asked my question before I even knew I had it. 

Worked fine. No issues.  Other than the low pressure. But that was not affected by rotating the top.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

While you have the pump apart, you can tap the inlet/outlet threads for different fittings. I tapped one for 1/4 NPT and installed adapter fittings to use AN hoses. No reason other than I wanted to.

That’s a good idea. 
The fittings it came with are suitable so I used those for now. 
Will keep in mind for the future. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, datzenmike said:

L16/L18 pump 2.5 to 3.4 PSI

L20B pump 3-3.9

Both should deliver 1 liter per minute or less volume.

I have a few different pumps. Including a new Nikki ( from Thailand, if that’s an issue)

and none are above 2.5. 

If there is a drain, such as a return, then the pump regulator simply increases the flow to keep the pressure side of the pump constant. The return would have to exceed the pumps output volume to lower the pressure. The return orifice has to be small so that the pump can push against this restriction and build pressure or fuel will simply flow the easier path... back into the tank.

The orifice is just over 1mm? Can't see one liter getting past this in a minute at under 3 PSI

11aMYIJ.jpg

When a T is inserted in line and the output of the pump is directed into a container it should deliver 1 liter or more per minute at 1,000 RPMs. That's a lot of fuel.

• Like 1

No fuel return on it. 
Mechanical pump to adjustable regulator with a gauge mounted. I can get the pressure lower by the adjustment, but won’t go higher. 
I could try a different gauge or may take the regulator out and see if that’s the issue. 

What regulator are you using? If it's one of those cheap dial types, it can't be used before the carb as it will restrict the flow, not just the pressure. Those need to be used on a return line.

A Holley type adjustable regulator with the set screw adjustment does not restrict fuel flow.

25 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

You may not even have a problem if it runs.

I know. It does run. 
I’m trying to get it to run well! Everything about tuning carbs starts with pressure, volume and float level. So I want to get all that sorted. 
I used a different fuel gauge with the Holley regulator removed. It’s now at 3.5 psi. 
So it seems the regulator can’t bump it up enough.  IMG_5279.thumb.jpeg.20e9751d0ee4a51f0fd9714f6802cbbe.jpeg